turtle tankmates?????

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Really? Sure looks like the same turtle is this link. Please provide an image of said "cooter", thanks.

http://www.arkive.org/yellow-bellied-slider-turtle/trachemys-scripta/image-G106398.html

View attachment 1228757

View attachment 1228758
Yellowbelly Slider is a different species, they are not a hybrid

can provide pix of Cooters, but like I said, you need better pics of the head, otherwise it impossible to tell them apart

The turtle that is being sat upon in your post is a Painted Turtle, they are not the same species of turtle

Last edited:

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Yellowbelly Slider is a different species, they are not a hybrid

can provide pix of Cooters, but like I said, you need better pics of the head, otherwise it impossible to tell them apart

The turtle that is being sat upon in your post is a Painted Turtle, they are not the same species of turtle

The Yellow-bellied Slider is a sub species of Trachemys scripta, not an entire different species all together.

2nd, I was referring to the turtle on top of the other slider. The bottom turtle is not a Painted Turtle but possibly an Intergrade ( a mix of T. scripta), perhaps even a Cumberland Slider. A mix of 2 subspecies is not considered a hybrid since they are technically the same species.I'm very familiar with Chrysemys picta as I've kept and bred 3 out of the 4 subspecies. Painted turtles do not have spotting on the plastron scutes so they can be ruled out.

A better comparison of the heads. Also, it does not have the high domed shell of Cooters which was an evolutionary trait to help them to withstand the crushing jaws of the American Alligator.

Comparison.jpg

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
The Yellow-bellied Slider is a sub species of Trachemys scripta, not an entire different species all together.

2nd, I was referring to the turtle on top of the other slider. The bottom turtle is not a Painted Turtle but possibly an Intergrade ( a mix of T. scripta), perhaps even a Cumberland Slider. A mix of 2 subspecies is not considered a hybrid since they are technically the same species.I'm very familiar with Chrysemys picta as I've kept and bred 3 out of the 4 subspecies. Painted turtles do not have spotting on the plastron scutes so they can be ruled out.

A better comparison of the heads. Also, it does not have the high domed shell of Cooters which was an evolutionary trait to help them to withstand the crushing jaws of the American Alligator.

View attachment 1228830
As far as hybrids go it depends who you talk to as there are many opinions about it. I have heard people claim crossing subspecies is an "intergrade" such as the Gulf Hammock Ratsnake, later decided there are no subspecies of "Eastern Ratsnake" - I think it's all bull, since the southern populations will not survive the harsh winters our northern populations endure.

Crossing species is considered a hybrid, but to many people ANY human-influenced crossing - genus, species, subspecies or otherwise is considered a "hybrid" so what is or isn't a hybrid is debatable as well as what is or isn't a different species or subspecies

Vicious_Fish

MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I'm with you but scientific classification is what it is even if we in the reptile community don't agree with it. I personally don't even house subspecies together. Look at Dart Frogs. I have quite a few friends who breed them and it's always a big no-no to mix them, especially color morphs of the same species such as Oophaga pumilio which have like 30 color morphs. When I bred Terrapene carolina I always kept the 3 subspecies in my possession separate. I had a pen with Easterns, one with Gulf Coast and another with 3-Toes because they would easily intergrade if not kept separate. Same went for my Eastern, Midland and Western Painted Turtles.

Some reptile species should probably be separated into subspecies even if the scientific community doesn't agree with that. For instance Sternotherus odoratus from the north differ from individuals in the south. I've kept both types but I would never let my Stinkpots from Florida overwinter up here even though they are considered the same species.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I'm with you but scientific classification is what it is even if we in the reptile community don't agree with it. I personally don't even house subspecies together. Look at Dart Frogs. I have quite a few friends who breed them and it's always a big no-no to mix them, especially color morphs of the same species such as Oophaga pumilio which have like 30 color morphs. When I bred Terrapene carolina I always kept the 3 subspecies in my possession separate. I had a pen with Easterns, one with Gulf Coast and another with 3-Toes because they would easily intergrade if not kept separate. Same went for my Eastern, Midland and Western Painted Turtles.

Some reptile species should probably be separated into subspecies even if the scientific community doesn't agree with that. For instance Sternotherus odoratus from the north differ from individuals in the south. I've kept both types but I would never let my Stinkpots from Florida overwinter up here even though they are considered the same species.
I was unaware Sternotherus HAD a subspecies....

EDIT: Is Vanilla Cherry Pepsi a separate subspecies of Pepsi or just a different locale?

Vicious_Fish

MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I was unaware Sternotherus HAD a subspecies....

EDIT: Is Vanilla Cherry Pepsi a separate subspecies of Pepsi or just a different locale?

It doesn't have a subspecies but perhaps some day it will be split into north and southern varieties. Here's a photo of mine that shows a dark female "southern" morph and a male "northern" morph with it's lighter coloring and brighter contrasting head stripes. The southern morph is also smaller and more oblong in shape as opposed to the larger and more rounded northern morph.
Stinkpots.jpg

No, no, no. You're thinking of crystal pepsi from the clear beverage genus. That red-head step child of a cola has been properly wiped out from the planet and my taste buds.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
It doesn't have a subspecies but perhaps some day it will be split into north and southern varieties. Here's a photo of mine that shows a dark female "southern" morph and a male "northern" morph with it's lighter coloring and brighter contrasting head stripes. The southern morph is also smaller and more oblong in shape as opposed to the larger and more rounded northern morph.
View attachment 1228969

No, no, no. You're thinking of crystal pepsi from the clear beverage genus. That red-head step child of a cola has been properly wiped out from the planet and my taste buds.
that seems bass-ackwards.....usually from what I have noticed the Northern variants are darker to absorb more heat since it does not get as warm up north while the Southern variants are lighter, again perfect example are the Black Ratsnake VS. Yellow/Grey Ratsnake. Different locale of Timber/Canebrake Rattlesnakes display this as well

I've also noticed the water down south is a much darker color however as well, so maybe it evolved for camouflage

Vicious_Fish

MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Yeah the coloring thing is totally backwards. It could be a camouflage adaption to the tannin soaked waters of the south. That female is from Florida and the male was from Pennsylvania. But the size difference makes sense since most animals from the north are bulkier than their southern counterparts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store