turtles in a 30 gallon tank?

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
R there any turtles that can live there whole life in a 30 gallon fish tank. And could they also have some fish partners with them. Im not rlly sure i have kept turtles but not them and fish. So what do you guys think. If u know plz let me know i am looking for any help i can get.

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
A musk or (American) mud turtle could live in a 30 gallon tank for life. Individual dispositions vary, but they are among the most fish-safe turtles. My stinkpots live with several goldfish, and my stripeneck musks used to live with bite-size dace and fatheads and never bothered them.

Reactions: Stevenm1

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
Generally, it's thought best not to combine turtles with fish. Turtles don't require the same water quality as fish, which is definitely a good thing, considering the amount of waste turtles produce. The filtration and water change regimen for a tank combining these would be major, in my opinion, and enough to make me not want to try it. Also, a 30 gallon aquarium, especially if it's not full, as it wouldn't be for a turtle, doesn't hold much water, which causes problems with waste and temperature regulation for fish -- the turtle wouldn't want to have a heater, as he warms up when basking, and cools off in the water. Most fish need consistent temps to stay healthy, which would necessitate a heater. As for what turtles, I don't know of any, but I'm sure some turtle experts will chime in here!

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
If i do imma add another in tank filter. And have it for 50gal and bigger tanks. I will then have 2 filters for it. And ill probably just have tetras or something small. Which wouldnt let off hardly any waste i would think.

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
In-tank filters are not that great. I suggest a large HOB, a large sponge filter, or ideally, a canister. Turtles eat a lot, and messily.

RobE

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2008
Seminole, FL
I have a 20L with a common musk, 6 tetras, 12+(cherry,ghost)shrimp and a otto cat. And there has never been any interest from my turtle towards any of the inhabitants. I even had two ancistrus plecos in there for about 2 months and she never bothered them.

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Smaller species like the mud/musk turtles will be good. Also smaller basking turtles like Reeves. In any smaller tank, fish are likely to get eaten.

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I guess you could keep a single Stinkpot Musk in a 30 gallon but a 40 gallon breeder aquarium would be much better.

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
kk thnx for help keep it coming and how many gallons is 20L

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store