Two Bolt catfish, ~1 foot, ~2 years old, in 4500 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I got two bolt catfish at 3"-4" from Ted's Fishroom the Summer of 2015 ($90 each), which makes them now about 2 years old. Now they are about a foot already. I fail to discern any external differences between the two. Very lively assertive catfish, easy to feed, not vicious with tank mates, graceful yet robust with beautiful markings, but they have zero tolerance for each other. It became evident from the start. Ted shipped them to me separately, of course, but I combined them for acclimation. When I returned in a few minutes after I had just let them out of their bags into an acclimation cooler, I found the bigger one had already dug into the smaller one. Yikes.

Luckily they heal well. So they grew up to about 6"-7" in separate 240 gal tanks in about 6 months. Then I combined them in one of our 4500 gal. They haven't fought too badly at first but then it gradually changed. They do keep away from each other but every time they bump into each other, it turns into a cartoonish ball of two bending and flying bodies (if there was dust, they'd be in a cloud of dust) where each simultaneously tries to bite the other and avoid being bitten by the other or pull a fin out of the other's mouth... Time has not helped it. Their fins are usually ripped and barbels are half bitten off, as you will see in the video below. Lately I started noticing that the dominant one has started giving an occasional chase to our much larger 16"-22" vulture catfish.

I am thinking I will need to separate them again next time I pump down the tank. Here is a short video compilation. The dominant one occupies the coveted bottom section right in the middle of the strongest current. The indomitable challenger scours the walls all around the tank and the viewing window:

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
What if they're both male? And I always wondered since you said they were aggressive to each other would they be aggressive towards similar looking fish such as vultures

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've not tried sexing them.

Mine have been fine with vultures both when small in 240 gal and bigger in 4500 gal. Neither bothers the other.

Anyhow, about half a year ago I pulled them out of the 4500 gal, having tired of their ever tattered form. (And because silver aros went in.) They went into different 240 gal. One stayed in his, the other went back into the same 4500 gal and has been alright so far.

Can spot the one that stayed in 240 gal here:

Reactions: justarn and moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I like how it looks with the darker base. That tank looks like a real interesting one. The eel cats look very interesting and those Trachy look huge.

Reactions: justarn

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Stunning pics.... my favirote cats

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009