two cray fish in the same tank?

SiestaSkyy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2006
Brooklyn, MI
I have a haraquin(no idea how to spell it) in one tank and a elec blue in anouther, can i put my blue in with my haroquin or will they kill each other. they are both about the same size.

CrypticSins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2006
Mississippi
SiestaSkyy said:
I have a haraquin(no idea how to spell it) in one tank and a elec blue in anouther, can i put my blue in with my haroquin or will they kill each other. they are both about the same size.

Well, I've messed around with crayfish, and really it's going to come down to... "Do it and see". I've had 2 crayfish in the same tank, different times, and different crayfish. Only one time did a crayfish kill another... Right now I have two crayfish in my tank, and they do fine.... I think they will be ok as long as you have two decent areas for them to hide, or claim.

SiestaSkyy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2006
Brooklyn, MI
ya but its a 55... its not that big. and if my blue killed my harrowquin the next stop for the blue would be the piranha tank. id be pissed. does that little diagram of the male female thing in the other thread apply to cray fish or lobster? will it work better if they are different sex's?

CrypticSins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2006
Mississippi
I believe that it applies for both lobster and crayfish. I think a male and a female would certainly do better than two males seeing how aggersive crayfish are. however, from what I have noticed with having two crayfish in my tank, which both are males, as long as they have their own area they can claim, they are fine. Like give one a little cave thing, and the other a hollow log.

illustrae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
NewHampshire, USA
If you are really attached to either cray, I'd keep them seperate. If they are different species, they would probably try to kill each other regardless of gender. The only time I kept two crays together, they were a male and female of the same species, and for a long time one woul dhide all the time while the other chased her (him?) whenever she (he?) came out. Eventually, the bully grew 3x the size of his mate, and I think the little one died of starvation.

MrfisH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2005
New Hampshire
I cant put any other inverts with my cray. Ive tried big fiddlers and other crays but at one time or another find just their shells.

jthommarson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
Durham, NC
www.everythingipod.cm
my roommate had two crays in his 55 with his oscar (12"). we used to sit around and drink beer and just watch them battle it out. neither one killed each other, but it was fun to watch.. they are also crafty little bastards....saw on walking to my shower one day. :eek:

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
The way I do it is to have a bare bottom and that way they cant get enough traction to do the other any harm. They just spin their little legs for hours so that helps quite a bit.

aquaboyaquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
The biggest problem is when they molt. I have seen this many times, even with breeding pairs. As soon as they molt, the other will find it and surgically remove every limb. Usually they leave the rest of the body squirming like a inch worm dieing slowly. Your best bet is a large number of hiding places. This will give the molting crayfish refuge until he hardens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store