Two Distichodus sexfasciatus, 1' and 2'+, in 4500 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
They are about 2 and 3 years old, respectively. The smaller one is in the "peaceful" 4500 gal, seems to behave itself well, have not seen it bother anyone. The bigger is in the aggressive 4500 gal community. Stands its own. Gives 2.5'x1.5' pacu a run for their money every now and then when they piss it off.

They are considered aggressive fish and bigger but they have nothing on their cousins D. lusosso. The latter are probably the biggest jerks among all my fish, worse than purple Labeo.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Update and corrections.

The smaller one is in the "peaceful" 4500 gal, seems to behave itself well, have not seen it bother anyone.
I stand corrected. The smaller one skinned our biggest IDS of 28" about a couple of months back. Removed about 10% of skin on both IDS sides via a great number of superficial, scraping bites. Hasn't touched the IDS or other fish before or since. IDK what to make of it quite yet except rehome it at the earliest convenience. The IDS grew skin back ok, started feeding well again about a month ago.

The bigger one called it quits also about 2 months ago. It wasn't killed but died itself. A lot of scales have been removed by tank mate cats post-mortum but no one could fit any significant portion of the distichodus in their mouth. They kept trying probably all night. Now my mechanical prefilter is still clogged with its scales.

The fish couldn't have been over 4 years old as I grew it from a 2"-er. So, I don't think this is a natural lifespan related passing. It was high in the pecking order in its 4500 gal and chased the pacu around. When I cut it open, it had eggs inside, so was a female.

It wasn't 2'+ per my thread title but 2' minus. Total length is properly measured to the base of a forked tail, not to the tip. Perhaps splitting hairs but I am simply aiming to stay scientifically rigorous in reporting numbers.

I was surprised to find sand-paper-like, catfish-like tooth patches on its lips. This fish's beak-like mouth is built to grab and hold on to wiggly slimy feed items among other things.

The scales in disarray are areas where they grew back from prior attacks when it was much smaller.

sexfasciatum .JPG sexfasciatum 1.JPG sexfasciatum 2.JPG sexfasciatum 3.JPG

Reactions: RD.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Wow, I'd expect a much longer life span for a fish of its size, but it did get to that size fairly quick.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Update Sept 27, 2018.

I stand corrected - post #4 here https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...om-dayton-oh-in-mar-2016.699701/#post-7885560

I'll just quote my post in its entirety:

"All 4 paroon shark catfish have been doing well. Grew some but nothing to write home about. The biggest is probably close to 3', another is in between 3' and 2.5', and the last two are ~2.5'.

Mostly peaceful except for an occasional surprising bout of chasing and biting each other. It has lessened tremendously since the beginning year or year and a half but has not disappeared. I attribute this to hierarchy disputes and enforcement. It has lessened enough for all of them to grow back their pretty extensions on all fins.

Also a bit surprisingly, they are yet to take a marine or freshwater frozen fish for me. They only take exclusively pellets. (But see below.) Perhaps this also contributes to slow growth, albeit they don't look thin but rather well fed.

They don't seem to interact with their tank mates. Or so I thought for these 2.5 years since getting them in Mar 2016. Last week, I think I have figured out who killed our 2' striped distichodus aka Distichodus sexfasciatus - see post #2 above.

It was the paroons and it happened overnight, so I missed it, I could not have witnessed it. I was wondering why pretty much all the scales have been removed from the Distichodus and also while it was nearly dead in the morning, I witnessed paroons biting it and as if trying to fit it in the mouth but quickly realizing they couldn't. But I thought the paroons have done that since the Distichodus was already almost dead, barely moving.

Also when any other fish would fall victim in that 4500 gal, the scales would only be missing from the rear end (e.g., in arowana) or the damage would only be confined to the rear end (e.g., in TSN or achara) as this is the only place easiest and logical to attempt to start swallowing them. So the big Distichodus missing pretty much all the scales didn't make sense.

So, as mentioned, last week, much to my dismay I got lucky and saw the paroons in the morning trying to make a meal out of our smallest pacu named Coral. Coral is an albino red belly and he is anything but edible, being about 2' long and 1.5' tall. The paroons could never fit any significant part of Coral in their mouth, just like they couldn't do that to the Distichodus.

Nevertheless, they were seeking out Coral in the tank and biting it knocking out scales by dozens. They were doing this relentlessly. I imagine that's exactly how they descaled the Distichodus overnight and it perished from all the stress by mid morning. Coral would too if I didn't feed the jackals.

It turns out that not feeding the paroons Sun, Mon, and Tues (I only offered pellets on Wed, Thurs, Friday, and Sat in that tank) meant they grew hungry and eventually started taking matters into their own fins.

That's my lesson."

• Wow

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
A yearly update on the smaller and younger sexfasciatum.

It has gone through a few 240 gal tanks. In some it's been fine for a long time, even half a year, but invariably it starts causing trouble, sooner or later. Often immediately. I place a wolf fish with it or pacu or a GG and the jerk starts going after them like a junkyard dog after a perpetrator. Relentless biting and pulling out scores of scales, meant to kill asap.

As of the last 4-6 months, it's been bunking with a Cephalosilurus apurensis. Both fish are roughly 1.5'. The apu's overall menacing and bully demeanor and scary feeding practice appears to instill respect in the six-striper. In any case, neither one messes with the other, not yet anyway. The jello is not interested in the striper because it knows it can't swallow it. The striper probably doen't percieve the catfish as a competitor, in stark opposition to seemingly any other characin, cyprinid, or even midwater swimming catfish such as IDS.

This is a part of the feeding and filming of all the fish tanks we have. The feeding behavior is poor because the fish are not used to having the tank lights on; also placing a camera in the tank makes them uneasy and skittish. Usually, when the jello hears the feeding going on, it swims vertically in one spot where the feed enters just under the surface and inhales it with one huge and explosion-loud, lightning-fast gulp. It's an ambush predator afterall. The six-striper takes our staple finfish pellets but it's too nervous here, so I haven't even tried. No point, it won't take any.

The striper also lo-o-oves Massivore pellets, prefers them by 100x to the finfish pellets, and this reflects almost exactly the difference in price, haha... It sponges them off the apu. Any that the apu misses, it tries to pick up, it's like trembling with an anticipation when I feed the apu the Massivore to see if it misses any... like a race dog in a stall...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Update. The six-striped distichodus continues doing well in a 240 gal along with an orange jello catfish and two pleco.

If you will, listen to the narrative in this video on their tank:

A bit more here on our top three worst tank mate fish, including #3, the D. sexfasciatus:

Reactions: RD. and Iamfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sexy, the now 7 years old, 20", male Distichodus sexfasciatus, continues to cause trouble, from destroying fresh caulking jobs to destroying tank mates. He has been through 4 tanks in one month! Now solo in a 240 gal.

In this video I touch on its compatibility with other aggressive tank mates:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
More of the same story - Sexi is making rounds of our tanks, now with a black shark:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sexi's saga lives on. Sexi the Disichodus sexfasciatus tried hard but couldn't muster it within himself to be tolerant in its 5th tank in 3 months but this time the old resident Sharkie the black shark minnow departs for 1800 gal:

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
These guys are definitely a step up from neon tetras. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store