Two new bichirs aren't very responsive

SpinalTea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2019
//(Ive only ever kept 2 senegals before- one of which is tiny and in the tank with the two right now as I restart the tank it was in)

5 days ago i bought two rather small bichirs, one Lapradei and one Teugelsi- the Lap had a bloody fin along its spine and a slightly torn fin (i assume from the net?) and the Teug had a pretty shredded fin at its side. Neither were particularly active and the guy was able to just manhandle them into the net because they were so still.
(sorry for so many pictures- they were all taken the day i got them)

I'm both concerned by the inactivity that has continued in the 10 gal quarantine tank, and by the lack of responce to food. The Lap has healed fairly well so far and has become active enough for me to notice it in new spots, but if anything the Teug has decreased.

Is there anything I could do to get a food responce (their thinness worries me) or to make sure they grow healthy? I have frozen blood worms, frozen beefheart, and hikari carnivore pellets- the Lap looks like maybe it's interested in the bloodworms but not enough to make any move for them.

(SO SORRY THIS IS HORRIBLY LONG) I'm currently using that Tetra Lifeguard All-In-One Treatment stuff in the 10 gal theyre in before i move them to the actual tank. Would this be effective at quarantining at all, and is there any other meds I should use instead/at the same time?

43EA7F27-A514-44CE-ACB1-791BAD2721B5.jpeg

E705AB38-1904-467D-8A15-154291ED2175.jpeg

37B6CE3A-6A29-4E22-A957-4487EE903706.jpeg

3079A3EE-D5D7-4F5C-81CF-52B1ACE09944.jpeg

SpinalTea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2019
(!excuse the dead fish photos) I went to take current pictures of the bichirs and the Teug is dead- looking like it has red along its belly and /not sure if this is just a death thing/ the part of its belly close to its head is green/yellow. Ive gotten it out of the tank and its in a jar at the moment (Im being told I should call the fish store I got it from).
The Lapradei seems to be doing fine for how theyve been doing all along. As in it has moved at some point and now is laying there. It looks like its about 3 inches? As I'm looking there looks like a tiny red spot near its analfin and now I'm paranoid- is this one going to get whatever happened to the Teug by chance?- How could I counter that?

I can get the water parameters if needed

8767FADF-84FC-4DD9-8E38-212F52F9AA08.jpeg

F9F0778F-79D8-46F9-8CB3-FE82D1E7183B.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Unfortunately both fish look very sick. Where did you get them from? Lfs? Those fish look starved. I would try the pelleThose fish look starved. I would some cut up tilapia and since your dosing medication I would just stop that temporarily. Make sure the water is clean.

SpinalTea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2019
Unfortunately both fish look very sick. Where did you get them from? Lfs? Those fish look starved. I would try the pelleThose fish look starved. I would some cut up tilapia and since your dosing medication I would just stop that temporarily. Make sure the water is clean.
thought so :/ yeah theyre from a fishstore about an hour away- i figured that with this second opinion i would start booking it with different foods and the Lap is actually moving around to actively eat the beefheart!! Also I think today happened to be the last day for the medicine so I will stop that, thank you!

Reactions: clm08k
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store