Two Siamese giant carp, ~12", ~2 years old, in 4500 gal

SwellyJelly

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2014
Missouri
What kind of diet are these guys onto now? I recently picked one up last month and it has been trying to filter feed everything possible in my tank's current. I have tried dropping in carnivore pellets, broken up massivore and other small sinking pellets but it always spits them out :(

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
What kind of diet are these guys onto now? I recently picked one up last month and it has been trying to filter feed everything possible in my tank's current. I have tried dropping in carnivore pellets, broken up massivore and other small sinking pellets but it always spits them out :(
Hey bro, been away, sorry. Mine too try to filter feed but it seems they do it a lot less than at the beginning. They learned that food is really only available when I throw in pellets. I do it from 3 to 10 times a day. They beg and "lick the window" every time I pass by now.

My catla catla does too but it appear to be much more of a filter feeder.

The carps are now about 16". Eyeball. Could be more.

Monster tank!!!
Thanks!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
... Update June 14, 2017.

In addition to the two described above, I got a trio from Rapps about 4-5 months ago too at $25 each. Easy fish. One got messed up by a tank mate in a prior 240 gal tank. IDK who. Suspect 7" VATF chewed up right side of its snout and the eye. If it did, I've no idea why it'd do it.

Here are the three new ones at ~5"-6" and their new tank mates:

With time passing, I was becoming less convinced that the cause of the mutilation of one of the three new carps was a tank mate attack. The degree of deformation progressed dramatically. Perhaps it could have been some genetic defect too. I really don't know. All I know is when I got the trio from Rapps, I've not noted any problems whatsoever.

The deformed carp was struggling to breath with pretty much one gill and eventually started to go, so I had to euthanize it recently. Has anyone seen anything like this deformation in their giant Siamese carp:

100_7988.JPG 100_7990.JPG 100_7991.JPG 100_7994.JPG 100_7995.JPG

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
Sorry for your loss buddy. But I think this carp had a genetic mutation probably caused by inbreeding. Since these guys are critically endangered in the wild, It’s more than likely that the specimens that we’re getting are captive (in) bred and I don’t think we do much to prevent inbreeding in aquaculture :(.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Sorry for your loss bro. I agree with Sunny, the fish we get are captive bred and chances are that the ones which would usually be culled end up in the trade. I believe you've made the same observations with RTC/TSN.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Sorry for your loss buddy. But I think this carp had a genetic mutation probably caused by inbreeding. Since these guys are critically endangered in the wild, It’s more than likely that the specimens that we’re getting are captive (in) bred and I don’t think we do much to prevent inbreeding in aquaculture :(.
+1

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store