Type of catfish? Pics attached!

Shannah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2017
Greetings!
I've been keeping fish for about a year now! I have a 29 gallon tank, it's been set up for about 6 months. I was in my creek looking for some crawfish for my tank, when I came across this juvenile catfish, in a really shallow part of the creek, in about an inch or two of water! He was so cute, I ended up catching him with my hands & decided I was going to take him home and put him in my tank. I'm having a hard time deciphering if he's a bullhead catfish, or maybe a flathead? Or maybe something completely different! If he's a bullhead, I'm willing to upsize my tank to a 75 or 100 gallon. If he's a flathead, I have a friend with a 800 gallon pond who would love to have him! But I'm hoping I can keep him! I often find him resting in plants & under some rocks I have from the creek he was in! He's a great little guy
Thank you in advanced!

IMG_3206.JPG

IMG_3208.JPG

IMG_3253.JPG

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Agree with the ID of yellow bullhead, the only one with white mandibular (chin) barbels, IIRC.

And welcome to the MFK!

Shannah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2017
He's a great add to the tank, he's fun to watch! He's always sleeping upright in plants, and goes crazy when he smells food in the tank!

Reactions: Chicxulub
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store