U.S. Native Stream Tank with DIY 3D Background & DIY Roots

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Thanks for the update on this lovely tank; sorry to hear about your troubles with it. Wondering how long ago the last addition of new stock was?

Stuff like this happens sometimes; no new fish for many weeks or months, no obvious changes in water quality or other factors, and yet suddenly a fish death or deaths occurs. Makes you realize how much we don't understand about the processes in our aquariums.

Chasmodes

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maryland
Thanks for the update on this lovely tank; sorry to hear about your troubles with it. Wondering how long ago the last addition of new stock was?

Stuff like this happens sometimes; no new fish for many weeks or months, no obvious changes in water quality or other factors, and yet suddenly a fish death or deaths occurs. Makes you realize how much we don't understand about the processes in our aquariums.
Thank you John. The last fish was introduced several months ago. However, I did add plants twice during the month that this happened. Part of the problem may have been an algae die off that started to happen after the plant introductions that may have spiked ammonia, or maybe introduced parasites. I never thought about QTing plants, but I might have to do that next time.

And yes, there is much that I don't understand that I thought that I understood. I'm always learning though, and often the hard way.

Chasmodes

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maryland
I think that I'm starting to turn the corner in my battle against algae in my tank. Steps that I am taking include:

• decreasing the photoperiod to three hours with only one hour at peak intensity
  • weekly 25% water changes
  • I purchased more plants
  • physical removal of algae off the plants
  • Keeping all glass surfaces clean.
Overall, the algae coverage is decreasing, although still thick where the brightest light seems to shine. Here's a video update from last night:

Reactions: Fishnerd360

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
A 2 week quarantine in an uninhabited aquarium is best for plants.

Reactions: Chasmodes

Chasmodes

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maryland
I shot this video of my stream tank with a slightly different angle. I'm really pleased how it looks, especially showing the current and surface agitation, giving the tank a pretty good representation of what a small stream shoreline eddy might be like... I hope y'all like it.

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
Nice tank!

Reactions: Chasmodes

Chasmodes

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maryland
Thank you DwarfCichlidLvr!

I thought that I'd shoot some pics from different angles of the stream tank and share them with you. Sometimes, I like sitting on the floor to view this tank. I seem to get more up and close to the fish. Also, when viewing from the floor, this angle allows you to really see the flow and current in this tank, how similar it is to a shoreline stream eddy.

Left side looking through the roots...not a lot of room to see the other side of the tank. But, it's interesting when fish peek through the roots to see what you're doing.

This one is from the left side looking toward the other end of the tank:

Same angle, but focused on the tank center where the fish like to hang out the most:

Middle, looking back at the left side to the roots:

Looking back from the right front of the tank toward the roots on the left side:

And finally, a view from the right side through the Valisneria to the roots:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store