Uaru and angelfish in 75 gallon? Other ideas?

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
True, chlorine/chloramine is toxic to all fish, but I understand singling discus out for special concern due to the perception of them as generally more sensitive than most fish. But, yes, clearly this doesn't mean other fish can handle it. Chloramine does complicate things somewhat compared to simple chlorine-- the Seachem page on Prime is helpful on that if you read their supplementary information, including FAQ.

Agree with most of this, but...

Substrate or not is one of the areas where opinions differ, but people do both, including some "dirted" discus tanks. It's the same with plants, tankmates vs. discus only, etc. There are areas of discus keeping where one opinion will never convince the other, but I never kept my discus (nor any other fish) in bare tanks, including fry. In some of these areas, it's generally a matter of different approaches involve different requirements and different perceived advantages and some of it's just personal preference. In feeding, particularly, I can confidently say do what you want and debate as long as you want, discus clearly do not require the terrestrial meats some people insist on-- I have years of successful discus keeping behind that confidence-- on that it appears we mostly agree. :)

Not all discus come from low pH water. Heckel and green discus do, blue/brown discus not necessarily, coming from varying habitat and water reportedly of 6.0-7.8 pH. Not everyone agrees with Heiko on every thing, but if he knows anything it's discus habitat-- Heiko Bleher on discus habitat

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Sheesh, just noticed a THIRD and faulty copy of my post. I did software tech writing for some years, sometimes MFK acts like the database gets confused when you edit posts. This time it created a completely new post each time I edited, moved quotes to the wrong place when I didn't touch them, and deleted text I didn't delete. Wonder what the db software is, whether the text editor is buggy, or if the db just can't handle the user traffic at times...

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That's really odd. I usually get multi post issues when my net is slow, that sounds pretty bad though.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
That's really odd. I usually get multi post issues when my net is slow, that sounds pretty bad though.
Don't know. I've had times when it doesn't save edits-- I save but changes don't show in the updated post, even after refreshing the page in my browser, etc-- unless I copy the entire post, then delete and repaste the whole thing before saving (sometimes I've added text, sometimes just corrected a word or two), but this was new, a new post for each edit. :)

I've also had times when my internet wasn't slow here, but MFK was slow to respond, so I assumed either too many users banging on the software at once or slow internet on the other end. Sometimes in beta testing a new release we'd find you didn't see issues until x number of users called the db at the same time, something we'd fix in the software.

...I'd wonder if it's something to do with how my browser talks to MFK, but it's an intermittent issue, usually it's fine, which seems to rule that out... I promise to get back OT now... :ROFL:

Reactions: Hendre

Pudmuppy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2019
I have also been having weird internet issues the last day - but that always happens whenever it rains here :D

My concern with Discus in high ammonia water doesn't mean that I am not concerned about all my fish :D I am doing my best to resolve it without going the RO route but we will see. Suspect RO is an inevitability. My particular concern with Discus, is that it seems like where my other fish do well with smaller 20% changes every few days and then a 50% at the weekend, Discus will (generally) need a whopping huge water change every couple of days. While filters will break down ammonia well, my concern is that they will not be efficient enough to break down the continuous input of ammonia - with water changes every day/second day, the ammonia will be constantly topped up again! Hence my setting up a test to see if an ageing barrel will break down a quantity before it is used for a water change.

At least, that is my theory!

ryansmith83 ryansmith83 - I wonder if I have just spent too much time on Simplydiscus and have wound myself into a tight ball of nope when it comes to discus keeping

neutrino neutrino - so you have kept Discus a bit more "naturally" before? If I went the Discus route, I would BB it for a couple of months while I got a feel for the species, then would add a bit of sand and a few more twigs and stones, maybe a couple of plants tied to wood. I like a natural looking but simple tank! I really feel I might have been sucked up too much into the Simplydiscus perfection and have convinced myself it can't be done, plus have a career, a husband, dogs and other fish :D I don't need the perfectly round 8" fish, but I also don't want any stunted, sad fish that get sick at the drop of a hat (which they do seem to, despite people's hard work)

Pudmuppy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2019
Discus need 3 things:
-Good food
-Good water
-No bacteria flying around

If your water is naturally soft RO is not needed, people here keep them at 100-200 TDS. They require good quality pellets, frozen foods etc and quite often when small. Skip all non-fish meat (Although Ostrich is used to good success here, very very lean) and keep the tank clean! Keepers here skip most substrate, especially for smaller fish, as uneaten food + substrate = Bacteria which discus generally don't like as the lower-pH waters they hail from have low bacterial counts. Just do your water changes and feed them well :)
I am hearing more and more that the beefheart route with Discus is one of the reasons the water fouls so fast and that the best bet is to stick to fish proteins for them, which is easy enough! I would use ostrich if I could ever find it - except it would be for me and not my fish! I don't eat much meat, but ostrich is lovely :D

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I am hearing more and more that the beefheart route with Discus is one of the reasons the water fouls so fast and that the best bet is to stick to fish proteins for them, which is easy enough! I would use ostrich if I could ever find it - except it would be for me and not my fish! I don't eat much meat, but ostrich is lovely :D
Yes fish is best.

If you're in the US it might be hard to get, I live in a neck of the woods where I see them on the way to school haha.

For ammonia you can use prime to "bind" it and the bacteria will digest it. You could also keep pothos plants in a system where you hold your water, it likes nitrogen! If you go substrate, make sure to keep it fairly thin and clean. IMO that'd be easier to keep clean.

Reactions: Pudmuppy

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I still don't understand the ammonia issue. Do you not use water conditioner when you do 20% water changes on your current tanks?

Whether you change 20% or 100% of your water at a time, dechlorinator neutralizes chloramines/chlorine/ammonia. Then your filter processes it out. I do 100% water changes on all my tanks, from month-old fry to adult fish. You just add the adequate amount of Prime or Safe and it shouldn't be an issue. You don't need RO or any kind of filtration or storage. You simply need dechlorinator, which you should be using anyway even at 20% water changes.

Storage tanks are really only necessary if you're concerned with wildly swinging parameters. For instance, if your water comes out of the tap at pH 8 and then drops to pH 6.5 (or vice versa) after being aged and aerated, you wouldn't want to do massive water changes because the swings in parameters could stress your fish. Most people aging their discus water are doing so to stabilize parameters and heat the water, not necessarily tackle the chloramine issue.

If you're going the discus route in a tank that size, you should forget adding cichlid tankmates IMO. Your discus will thank you. In terms of feeding, only the old school people are using beefheart nowadays. Most people use freeze-dried blackworms and a good combination of dried, prepared foods. You still have to stay on top of water quality with them or they'll get stressed and that could lead to illness. People act like this is unique to discus but it really isn't. Tons of SA fish falter if their water isn't pristine: Hoplarchus, Uaru, altum angels, Satanoperca daemon, various species of Crenicichla and Geophagus, etc.

Reactions: neutrino

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
ryansmith83 ryansmith83 - I wonder if I have just spent too much time on Simplydiscus and have wound myself into a tight ball of nope when it comes to discus keeping

neutrino neutrino - so you have kept Discus a bit more "naturally" before? If I went the Discus route, I would BB it for a couple of months while I got a feel for the species, then would add a bit of sand and a few more twigs and stones, maybe a couple of plants tied to wood. I like a natural looking but simple tank! I really feel I might have been sucked up too much into the Simplydiscus perfection and have convinced myself it can't be done, plus have a career, a husband, dogs and other fish :D I don't need the perfectly round 8" fish, but I also don't want any stunted, sad fish that get sick at the drop of a hat (which they do seem to, despite people's hard work)
There's a bit of a been there, done that aspect for me and discus this far down the road, but to this day they're a favorite among all the fish I've kept-- I've downsized and slowed down with fish from what I've done in the past, partly due to adding an artistic hobby that takes up some time (wood carving and sculpture, I'm in some galleries in my area) , so I'm not in the mode of adding tanks to accommodate all my fish interests, but I'd certainly do discus again in the right circumstance.

I've spent time on SD, never joined-- not much point, all I'd do is get into debates with some of those guys or otherwise be aggravated with them. There's a certain self-pollinating aspect on some forums, a majority accepts a certain approach and you can't tell them any different, no matter your own logic, success, or long experience.

I did several types of discus tanks, heavily planted, lightly planted, driftwood, no driftwood, black water, clear water, LOT of tankmates, few tankmates, species only, etc. I experimented with different temperatures, pH, water change regimens-- After a bit of experience with them I generally did 50-90% water changes, once or twice a week, depending on the tank and other factors. Back then I fed dry foods, sometimes frozen foods, good bit of live brine shrimp-- I had some big honking discus, nice and round, sans beef heart.

Certain things were always consistent: NO beef heart or other land animal foods. Never did bare tanks, always substrate and at least a few plants. Never did medicating or deworming to 'prevent' them getting sick. Never kept them in small 'breeder tanks', always a tank they had room to move around in. I don't see the point otherwise, I understand the economics of commercial breeding, but nothing better than a group of discus schooling from one end of the tank to another or leisurely picking their way through plants, driftwood, etc.

I strongly believe you can set yourself up to require frequent water changes. It's an easy and obvious formula: small tank, or smallish tank for the number of fish, feed beef heart or similar foods, feed heavily because you think they need it to reach a good size (they don't), feed more protein than they really need, bare tank, so nothing except your filter and water changes to keep the water clean-- Bingo, have fun doing water changes. Or... bigger tank for the same number of fish, more balance in tank ecology than a bare tank, feed moderately, cleaner foods, don't go overboard trying to grow them fast--> it's easier on water changes and you shouldn't have to medicate all the time. Pretty simple imo, it was for me.

Whatever fish I have I try to keep what I consider a balanced tank with an ecology that doesn't require fanatical maintenance. Substrate, filters, plants, driftwood or rocks, all figure in. I tend to stock lightly to moderately, but adjust water changes accordingly. I tend to do large, but not frequent water changes. I keep filters and substrate (gravel years ago, all sand now) clean, though my sand doesn't need much, honestly. I have the advantage of well water, so no chlorine/chloramine to worry about, but the disadvantage that, while my well never runs out, it's not the best water, orange-ish sometimes, typically cloudy, sometimes very cloudy-- sometimes I'll wait for a better day to do water changes, but even on a good day it takes filters some hours to clean it up (we filter drinking water or get it from a spring). If I did multiple water changes per week I'd have cloudy water half the time, LOL. Bottom line, though, is I rarely get a sick fish and they tend to live a long time-- they must like something I'm doing.

I don't know what the deal is with some people's discus getting sick all the time, I had an approach to keeping them, it worked for me and mine were always healthy without a lot of fuss, now and then I'd rescue a sick looking one and have to nurse it-- and wilds often came in looking rough. But there's more than one way to do it and keep them healthy, not claiming I had some exclusive secret. Medicating constantly can't be good for them. I don't agree with the way some people feed them (but if that's what you want to do and you want do all those water changes, knock yourself out). However, I wonder if some strains these days haven't had weaknesses bred into them.

Reactions: Pudmuppy and Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store