Uaru grow out?

pdiddy010

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2017
Ive got a deposit on 3 orange uaru, and 3 normal uaru. All of them are about 2 inches. I was wondering if I needed to grow them out before I put them in my 180 gal. The 180 has 1 common pleco, 3 Clown loaches, and 1 10” synodonitis hybrid, if I do need to grow them out, how big should they be before i can put them in?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
The concern would be them being able to find food, and not be outcompeted for it. Clown loaches and catfish can be pretty ravenous eaters. Do they go crazy and attack the food when you drop it in? If so, it might be best to grow the little guys up to 5-6" before they go in the big tank.

pdiddy010

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2017
Yea the clowns are pretty crazy, so I should probably grow them out

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
I would suggest doing a grow out tank. Ideally you'd want to QT them and not add them directly to the tank anyways.
I have 3 small Uaru in a 40 breeder growing out now, they would definitely have had issues competing for food initially in a tank with established fish. They took a few days to get settled, now they are crazy when they eat now as well.

pdiddy010

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2017
Ditto on the grow out tank. I did the same, the Orange ones are nice. They are sensitive, watch them daily for ich, they get it very easy. All of mine are in a 220 now, they sure do have different growth rates.
Would a 55 gallon be good enough to grow them out?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Personally, I never had an issue with my clown loaches out-competing smaller fish. for food. I've kept them with a bunch of other small bottom feeders like corydoras, kuhli loaches, etc...And I've also added small fish like dwarf rainbows a few years back, and currently harlequin rasboras that manage to steal food just fine.. It is also a lot safer for fish to be added to larger, established and stable tanks than to some newly set up quarantine, providing the established tank is not overstocked or filled with aggressive fish....

Generally, I'd be more worried about diseases and for that reason alone I'd quarantine, providing the quarantine has perfect water quality....Majority of issues with newly purchased fish is caused by the stress of the move, mini ammonia spikes due to the sudden bio-overload and general stress from bad water quality conditions. So it is a real bad idea to quarantine for the sake of quarantine, if one doesn't have a quarantine tank fully cycled and running, which tank can handle the added bioload at once....Water changes are really important for newly added fish...I'd do them daily or every other day for at least the first few weeks.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Would a 55 gallon be good enough to grow them out?
That should be good for now, I always want to give them as much space as possible, even though they are usually peaceful, packing fish in too close together can make them fight more often. My big buys fight often during feeding time over a cucumber.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store