Uarus breeding

schwarzi88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
Germany
H8888 S888 ..... i just happen to look into my 360 Gal. and seen my Uarus acting funny and digging a lil trench ..... then as i watched i noticed that one of them had a little tube hanging out the belly and as it swam up my overflows i saw it paste eggs on it and the other one put them in his mouth ..... i am supppeeerrrrrr excited and would love some tips on how to make sure that nuthing happens tho them or the babys !!!
what steps should i do to ensure their safty!

schwarzi88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
Germany
could it be that the albino severum that i have is fertilizing the eggs ? he does this weird little wiggle dance over them and then the other uaru puts them in his mouth ?

mdzamko

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
put the severum in a different tank. Its a big thing to get those uarus to breed. let them try again without the severum bothering them.

schwarzi88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
Germany
thanks for the feedback .... i would have to transfer the uarus cuz there are 3x dats 1 flagtail, 1 jardini, a poli, cat, Nandus, front, and a leaf fish in the tank with them .... they got the corner pretty much under control , what seems odd is that they tolerate the sevrum , they are not skittish around him , but fight the others off !
I'm thinking of putting the Uarus in a 55 and off outta the way of ppl since it is in a Tattoo Shop .... or get a divider with fine netting to keep them separated ..... all info is appreciated

mdzamko

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Sometimes moving fish to new tanks stops them from breeding. Some other fish in the tank might be good. especially in a tank that size, it might fell more natural for them.

schwarzi88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
Germany
they r at it again !!! i just saw a cluster of about 40-50 eggs and they are keeping the other fish at bay , im going to put a divider in tomorrow and hopefully they will successfully spawn ......
the question is what do i do when i have fry , add an airstone when the eggs are still attached to the wall ? do the frys need the parents in the same area or will they eat them ?
do they eat the slime off the mom? or off the dad? or both ?
or do i need to get brian shrimp eggs and start hatching them ?
any advice is well appriciated!

viewofthebay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2009
In The Cave...USA
I use to breed them long time ago. I alway take the eggs out and hatch them that way. They are like most south and central american cichlids. They will lay another set of eggs if you take them. Once free swimming, they can be fed newly hatched baby brine shrimps. If you don't take them out, most likely they will eat them with the other fishes in there bothering them. Good Luck.

schwarzi88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
Germany
thanks for the quick reply, sadly as i went to work the eggs were gone , so next time they lay eggs what do i do? they lay them on the overflow box , should i get a large flowerpot and break the side off to cover the overflow box so when there are eggs again i dont have to scrape them off? then put them in a breeding net? or should i put them in an extra aquarium ? do they need oxygen ? should i put an airstone by them ? ...... as u can tell im kind of a noob at this ! any advice is appreciated!
thanks in advance

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store