Uber-Aggressive Community Stocking Possibility?

Delhezi222

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
P
Hey all.
This summer I'll be building a 10x5x3 plywood tank (around 1300g), and I wanted to stock it somewhat aggressively, mainly around one main fish.
That fish is an aba aba knifefish.
My question is, even though tankmates with aba abas don't usually work, would it be best to try with fish that can hold their own against the aba, or other fish?
Some of the fish I had in mind were:
Bowfin
Peacock Bass
Large Gars
Big Polypterus
Also, I was even considering a jardini, but I imagine that'd be suicide with two fish like that in one tank.
Ultimately, this thread is more a thread of how to stock around the aba aba, but all suggestions are welcome.
Thanks.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
No Idea, I heard Aba's are pretty mean. Maybe throw in a Dorado, theyre pretty mean too. You can try bowfins too. I really dont know, youre taking a gamble.

Delhezi222

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
P
Pyramid_Party;2299096; said:
No Idea, I heard Aba's are pretty mean. Maybe throw in a Dorado, theyre pretty mean too. You can try bowfins too. I really dont know, youre taking a gamble.
Yeah, I really am taking a gamble.
I don't know much about dorado, but they look intriguing.
Anybody know anything about them.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
dont think it would work in the long run.
really a gamble.
even a dorado might not hold its own against an aba aba.

wonword

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2008
St. Paul, MN
i dont know if the agressiveness is really going to make a huge difference. id think more that the body style would and level of the tank they swim at. Maybe something with a wider disc shape like some big pacu or datnoids. Or, something with really tuff scales that it would have trouble biting like a oxydoras niger cat

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
when you're aba aba gets big, nothing else will survive

Delhezi222

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
P
wonword;2300550; said:
i dont know if the agressiveness is really going to make a huge difference. id think more that the body style would and level of the tank they swim at. Maybe something with a wider disc shape like some big pacu or datnoids. Or, something with really tuff scales that it would have trouble biting like a oxydoras niger cat
I thought about that a little. I don't know how that would work, but it sounds logical.

Onion01;2300551; said:
when you're aba aba gets big, nothing else will survive
I know that's what's likely to happen, but I'd like to try anyway.

moto110

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Lomita
Idk if it would even work or if it is logical but it would look sick with an aba aba with about 100 tiger barbs

Delhezi222

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
P
moto110;2301033; said:
Idk if it would even work or if it is logical but it would look sick with an aba aba with about 100 tiger barbs
That makes some sense.
If you make the other fish that small, the aba might not even notice them.
Unfortunately, that's not really what I'm looking for.
Thanks anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store