UGF question

elevatethis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
I have an UGF in a 20 long and was wondering if it hurt to remove the plastic risers that you'd hook an air pump to if you weren't using a powerhead (which is what I run, a penguin 550).

I had both of them in until tonight, when I removed one from the left side of the tank. Do they serve some kind of function even if an air pump isn't running to it?

I left one up just in case my powerhead craps out, and I'd have to use the old air pump to keep things moving. Thanks!

dialphantom

Banned
Jul 8, 2005
www.myspace.com
aqua clear very effecint filter they use a sponge as mechinal filtration so its way easy ot clean and its reusable i just throw mine in the washing mashine and plus u can ack em to the max with bio media

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
The risers are so the airstones would create lift, with a power head you have an impeller doing the job.

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
An Undergravel filter's primary purpose is to be a biological filter. Biological filtration is the most important filtration function performed on our aquariums. On a 20 long, the typical U/G plate has four ports for the clear riser tubes to be inserted into. I would suggest that the two inner ports have lift tubes with either an air stone in each port or a small power head (like your 550) at the top of each lift tube. Disableing your undergravel with out replacing it with a completly easablished (mature) biological filter will most certainly cause water quality issues. The suggestion of replacing your U/G with a hang on box filter is risky at best. THe hang on type filters are great at what their primary function is, Trapping dirt and chemical filtration. Neither of these function efficently process waste and although the water looks great, it often is unstable. Consider this, if un eatten fish food is laying on the bottom of your aquarium rotting, clearly is can and most likly will cause water quality problems. If un eatten fish food is sucked into your hang on filter and is trapped in the filter pad or sponge, it is still in your water, rotting and fouling you water. The ideal set up on most aquariums will include Biological filtration (in you case the undergravel) to process waste to maintain 0 PPM ammonia & nitrite. and good mechanical / chemical filtetration such as the aquaclear mention by another post. Mechanical filtration simply means some type of efficient dirt trap and chemical filtration in this case means the use of activated carbon to remove dissolved solids that may stain the water or give it an odor. I'm sure you'll hear someone stating that undergravel filter are worthless, etc... but when set up how they are intended to be used and maintained properly (vacumm the gravel often) they worl very well at a very small price. Try adding a good power filter such as the aqua clear or penguin and get the u/g running properly and your aquarium should do great for you....Joel

elevatethis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
I do a weekly 15%ish water change where I vaccum 1/3 of the gravel on the tank. In addition to this, are you saying that I should get a rear-mounted wet/dry filter as well? (how about the millennium 1000?)

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
You don't need to add a wet / dry filter to your aquarium. Wet / Dry filters are superior biological filters when compaired to and undergravel filter however I can't give you a cost effective way to incorporate a good one into your existing system. These so called hang on the back "wet / dry" filters for the most part are not very good biological filters. You have a decent foundation all ready with your u/g and the maintenance practice your doing is great. Your existing set up combined with the maintenance practice you are performing should be fine for most cases. If you would like to go one step further, get a simple power filter (penguin, aqua clear, whisper etc..) and run it in conjunction with your u/g. Doing this will give you the three modes of filtration that are concidered by most to be important to aquarium water quality and clearity. The u/g in your case will perform the biological filtration (this is the most important) and if you choose to add a power filter (hang on type) this will perform mechanical filtration (dirt trapping) and chemical filtration (removal of disolved solids thru the use of carbon). It just occoured to me...Do you fully understand biological filtration and what exacty it means and what your undergravel filter does. If not let me know and we'll go over it, it make much more sence when you know the in's and out's of it. I have learned over the years that many people don't understand exactly what and undergravel filter does. Many people call them "junk" or lousy filter but this is mostly because they don't understand aquarium filtration very well. Let me know, happy to help or share info with ya.......

elevatethis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
Oh no, I understand what the UGF does and how it works (microbes processing ammonia to nitrite using o2 and all that stuff...my gravel is the filter medium which harbors all of the "good" bacteria).

I guess I'm just wondering if adding mechanical and chemical filtration is an absolute necessity. I guess it just leads to the age-old debate between UGFs and others.

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
Adding additonal filtration is not nessessary. The main back bone of most aquarium filtration systems is the biological filter. You have it and sounds like you understand it and maintain it correctly. Adding additional filtration would simply make your all ready decent system a little bit better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store