uhm?

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Hey well first sorry I havent been around much, its what I like to call exit exam/final heck. So anyways I am not really back just have a little free time. I Prob wont be around much for the next 2 weeks. Ne who On to my question:

I am so confused by this. The two small peacock's that I posted pics of (the ones that are like 2ish inches) well one of them the mouth is bigish.. its weird... like its mouth got big odd shaped or something it just doesnt look normal, doesnt look diseased/infected nothing like that they look really healthy but that one its mouth is just like it shoved a huge bunch of food and never ate it or something?? its weird is this normal? cuse I noticed it before I fed it and I havent fed them for a day cuse I feed everyother day. Anyways it look odd to me and I just wondering if its normal or why would its mouth be all odd like that? Sorry I cant get any pics of it right now or I would. :confused:

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
hmm..must say that is definitely strange. are you thinking it might've dislocated it's jaw? I don't see how though since they are hinged just like those of a python, or any snake, maybe not as big, but they can get that way. also, there is no sore or anything? one last question and maybe the most important one is, is it eating?

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
yah its eating it acts fine, it eats.. its mouth just looks a little larger than normal...

yah it looks something like that one in that pic strait posted...

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
The fish in my photo is holding, incubating eggs in her mouth.

Are you sure she's eating the food? When holding a female may get in a few flakes which don't actually make it down. The flake will probably be stuck in the batch of eggs somewhere.

For example: this is what I got when I stripped my L. fuelleborni once.

Other times they had chunks of food that had accumulated in the buccal cavity or pellets and other such food items they were not able to really swallow.
If her mouth is still "wierd lookin" and she looks like she's chewing on something she's holding. She may or may not hold to term. If it's her first time there's a good chance she'll swallow them all but I've had plenty of first timers go all the way.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
intresting, I thought it was weird though cuse its not very big both of them just recently colored up well the one did it had its juvie look then it go its color just recently and the other one still is not so colorfull so I fig its a female... the one that is less color is the one with its mouth all weirdish. I only had them for maybe a month if that. Its my frist time with peacocks that are small then 3-4inches. so i dont know much about them. As far as it eating I feed them pellets and flakes it went after the pellet and had it in its mouth but that as much as I saw I walked away then cuse I had to work on my paper. If that is the case then I think this would be my lucky tank b/c my parrots bred and laid eggs in the tank I have my peacocks in now (I moved the parrots to a dif. tank)... hmm guess I just keep an eye out on it. anything in particular I needa be looking for?

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
Aggression. Make sure the fish isn't getting too much of a hard time. Holding females usually seek out in isolated area at this time and defend the quiet little territory to brood in if there is one available. If not then they'll seem normal as any other time.

Any chance your fish could have been hormoned proir to your purhcasing them? 2" and lots of color? Horming causes young fish and/or female fish to show an incredible amount of adult male coloration.
I once bought some S. fryeri that had been hormoned though I did not realize it since the females had feaded however, after closer inspection, they did show some blue that was nice but abnormal for a normal female S. fryeri. Too much blue in the face and fins. While in my tank my fully colored male faded back to his proper juvenile coloration. It then took him another 4 months to start showing true adult coloration.
Hormoning is common practive now-a-days, sadly, especially with peacocks and haps.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I would have no idea if it was. The one is just now coloring up but the other one is not its got like barley no color to it at all its faded alot then other one has color now ? If they were then I have no idea I could always go ask the people at the lfs next time I stop by there. Guess all I can really do is keep an eye on it and see if I noticed anything else. thanks for the help btw.

fishnthings

" id rather be a goldfish "
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
they arent mature enough to breed if thats what your implying;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store