Umbees

Justin Holland

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
MARYLAND
Good looking fish you've got there. How often do they spawn?
He hasn't spawned with this female yet. I've just introduced them a couple months ago.

However, once they start, it can go on like Convicts. That's how he was with the previous female. Sadly, she jumped tank last December 2019. Evidence points to her being spooked by something, whether it was him or some outside source I don't know. Found her in the early morning hours dead on the floor, with no signs of damage other than scuffed up from the concrete floor. Not even so much as a ripped fin.

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
He hasn't spawned with this female yet. I've just introduced them a couple months ago.

However, once they start, it can go on like Convicts. That's how he was with the previous female. Sadly, she jumped tank last December 2019. Evidence points to her being spooked by something, whether it was him or some outside source I don't know. Found her in the early morning hours dead on the floor, with no signs of damage other than scuffed up from the concrete floor. Not even so much as a ripped fin.

Tough to lose a fish like that. I've had a few make the leap of faith as well. It never ended good. I was just glad the cats didn't end up getting into them. Couple of generic questions for you. Since you've been able to grow out a beast like that I'd like to try and sometime soon follow suit. How often do you water change, what percentage? What size tank? Seems like most for sale just sell them small and you have to hope to get what you want. How many did you get to start and what did you do with the ones who didn't make it to your display tank? Thanks for sharing really interesting to understand how it all works.

Reactions: Justin Holland

Justin Holland

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
MARYLAND
Tough to lose a fish like that. I've had a few make the leap of faith as well. It never ended good. I was just glad the cats didn't end up getting into them. Couple of generic questions for you. Since you've been able to grow out a beast like that I'd like to try and sometime soon follow suit. How often do you water change, what percentage? What size tank? Seems like most for sale just sell them small and you have to hope to get what you want. How many did you get to start and what did you do with the ones who didn't make it to your display tank? Thanks for sharing really interesting to understand how it all works.
When I got this male it was already 7-8 inch and about 1 year old. From that point until about last year, his waterchange schedule was 75-80% weekly. Now he is 7 years old and in the 20-22 inch range. He's actually taller then he was long when I got him ?.
At an estimated guess, I'd say he's a 9 lb fish, maybe more.

You do want to start out with a group of 8 or more young, if buying them small. They get quite nasty as they reach 5-6 inch mark. By then you should be able to pick your keepers.

Reactions: Denon

Justin Holland

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
MARYLAND
This thing looks absolutely menacing.
Awesome.

I've got plans for an 8x4ft cichlid/pleco/ray tank in the works, do you think a male umbee could coexist with those other fish, or would he just kill everything except possibly the other big mean cichlids?
I've seen people do it with very large (500g plus) tanks/vats. It's not impossible, but very risky to try. Most mature males are viciously territorial.

Reactions: Plec123
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store