Unboxing the fx6

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I just took my fx6 out of action after about a year and a half. the motor got loud and grindy. I cleaned it out a few times and greased the impeller but to no avail. Still works fine but is too noisy for my display tank. Most of my research is pointing to a motor replacement.

If i go canister again, i will go eheim. I was warned that this would eventually happen with the fx6 from forumites here but didnt listen.

In the process of switching to sponge and foam block filters for all my tanks anyway though.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I think I’m going to wait a yeae until I give the fx6 another try and I might go with an fx4 or a fx5.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I just took my fx6 out of action after about a year and a half. the motor got loud and grindy. I cleaned it out a few times and greased the impeller but to no avail. Still works fine but is too noisy for my display tank. Most of my research is pointing to a motor replacement.

If i go canister again, i will go eheim. I was warned that this would eventually happen with the fx6 from forumites here but didnt listen.

In the process of switching to sponge and foam block filters for all my tanks anyway though.
I hade the same problem with two fx6. The second replaced the first on warranty and lasted two years then the motor stop working so i bought an used fx5 from a friend and thats 3 years ago and no problems at all with that cannister. Then i bought two brand new eheim 2262 and they are workhorses for sure. Would pick this filter all day everyday if i was about to buy a new cannister. Buying an fluval fx6 is like buying an apple product, you pay for the brandname not the quality.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I hade the same problem with two fx6. The second replaced the first on warranty and lasted two years then the motor stop working so i bought an used fx5 from a friend and thats 3 years ago and no problems at all with that cannister. Then i bought two brand new eheim 2262 and they are workhorses for sure. Would pick this filter all day everyday if i was about to buy a new cannister. Buying an fluval fx6 is like buying an apple product, you pay for the brandname not the quality.
Well it did work fantastic for that year and a half, and the motor still runs, but that noise is unbearable imo.

I agree with your assessment. I think people buy the fx6s because its a trusted brand and they are cheaper than the 2262, but still not cheap! But it really comes down to the pump, which eheim seems to have the mastery of.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Well it did work fantastic for that year and a half, and the motor still runs, but that noise is unbearable imo.

I agree with your assessment. I think people buy the fx6s because its a trusted brand and they are cheaper than the 2262, but still not cheap! But it really comes down to the pump, which eheim seems to have the mastery of.
Eheims universel pump 1262 is a masterpiece of a workhorse pump and the best with it that you can both drymount and submerge it. I use one of those pumps doing wc in my 2600L pool and its done with ease. Just chuck the pump with connected hose in the pool and plug it in and at the same time i throws the waterhose running fresh water from my tap in the pool and lets it run like that for 40 minuts and change about 1700L that way. All i have to do is keep an eye on the temperature from my tap.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Eheims universel pump 1262 is a masterpiece of a workhorse pump and the best with it that you can both drymount and submerge it. I use one of those pumps doing wc in my 2600L pool and its done with ease. Just chuck the pump with connected hose in the pool and plug it in and at the same time i throws the waterhose running fresh water from my tap in the pool and lets it run like that for 40 minuts and change about 1700L that way. All i have to do is keep an eye on the temperature from my tap.
I have an eheim pump thats like 400-800 gph its a very quiet and versatile pump. I use my big fluval pump for water changes because its noisy but it does move a lot of water fast.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I have an eheim pump thats like 400-800 gph its a very quiet and versatile pump. I use my big fluval pump for water changes because its noisy but it does move a lot of water fast.
That must be eheim 1260 or 1262 either 2800L/h or 3200 or 3400L/h dont have the exact number in my head but the 1262 is what im using. I have an aqua-medic oceanrunner 6000 i use sometimes but thats more then my tap can fill at the same time. If im using my eheim and flows fresh water from the tap at the same time i pumps out the same rate im filling my pool so i only let it run until i thinks its done. Its really easy and i dont have to monitor it like an hawk so i can fix with my tanks at the same time. I have flooded an appartment once when i forgot i was filling a tank. Had about 150L on my oakfloor. Guess who wasnt happy when she came home from work. Haha. That time was close to an divorce and since then i rent a basement storageroom with water and a floordrain in it. Haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store