MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021

anyone own any of these?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
A lot of people on here have pink tail chalceus, not too different from yellowfin.
Not sure of dot dash but spotted and banded are common. I have a banded and it’s an a-hole, but one of the most beautiful fish species out there imo. If I’m correct, dot dash reaches a similar size as banded but is much more mild mannered.
I can’t really comment on the cuda or payara.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I too used to have a Striped Leporinus (L. arcus), as well as the many-banded L. fasciatus. Beautiful fish. I wouldn't call the Striped one a full time a-hole, mine was more of a part-time jerk.
In my experience, the more common L. fasciatus and L. affinis are more a pain than the Striped Leporinus. Very cool fish all of them, but one needs to have enough space and resources to dedicate them the type of setups where they can thrive without having us keepers consider them jerks. And that is not easy for most people.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I too used to have a Striped Leporinus (L. arcus), as well as the many-banded L. fasciatus. Beautiful fish. I wouldn't call the Striped one a full time a-hole, mine was more of a part-time jerk.
In my experience, the more common L. fasciatus and L. affinis are more a pain than the Striped Leporinus. Very cool fish all of them, but one needs to have enough space and resources to dedicate them the type of setups where they can thrive without having us keepers consider them jerks. And that is not easy for most people.
One of my dream setups is a 180 devoted to fasciatus, maybe even attempt to breed. Very misunderstood but beautiful fish.
What’s nicest about them is that they can survive with even the meanest fish, or be the dominant fish in a tank of smaller, nicer ones. I’ve found that as long as something doesn’t invade its territory or isn’t within a size range to be perceived as a threat, it lets it be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store