Uncycled aquarium?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
"Old" Water alone doesn't carry any significant amount of beneficial bacteria, beneficial bacteria are sessile meaning they live on surfaces like bio-media, tank decor, glass, and substrate.
If you have enough filter media, and keep it wet during the change over you shouldn't have a problem, although substrate tends to carry a significant amount, so a bare bottom may not be quite as resilient.
If you allow the tank to dry out, and sit for too long there may be a problem.

Castlk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2013
Long Island, New York
I would treat it with Stability as well just as a precaution.

Reactions: Ashtons Fishroom

Ashtons Fishroom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2021
That's fine, yeah there are extremely slight traces of beneficial bacteria in the water column.
but its so small it doesn't effect the tank at all, i did a 98% water change while i had to move a 40 gal on a racking system in my fishroom :)
BB grows and is attached to something its not free floating like ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. i hope this helps as i know how you feel its abit scary when your tank is empty for the 1st time in years ;)

Ashtons Fishroom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2021
If you have alot of media in another aquarium then transfer some of that when you set your tank back up... it will help boost the immunity of your aquarium to an ammonia spike.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Thanks for everyone’s responses! My initial worries are gone now. I do have quite a lot of bio media from my sump. Don’t mind the extremely dirty cotton wool, I forgot to change it due to my national exams ?

3E4D1B00-61F0-4322-8BEF-707730AFAE11.jpeg

Reactions: Ashtons Fishroom

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
One concern that doesn’t seem to have been addressed is to cover you tank during the construction to prevent any contaminants from entering your system.

Reactions: deeda

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
One concern that doesn’t seem to have been addressed is to cover you tank during the construction to prevent any contaminants from entering your system.
Yup! It is going to be covered by a huge canvas sheet. I will be going to check on my fishes once a week for the next 4-5 months, could be an issue cause I can’t check up on my fish often (they may jump out)

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Yup! It is going to be covered by a huge canvas sheet. I will be going to check on my fishes once a week for the next 4-5 months, could be an issue cause I can’t check up on my fish often (they may jump out)
Awesome, I’m glad you didn’t ignore this and will be covering tree tank.

I wouldn’t worry too much about them jumping out. You should be fine.

Reactions: Caveden

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Sigh. Now that my tank has been moved and I have moved out of my home for the renovation to start, I am unable to check up on my fish regularly. I am only able to check up once a week to feed them. My next water change would be in a long one months time due to waterworks being changed for renovation ( I can’t do anything about it). I also cannot check for uneaten foods. I will be expecting casualties from this, but i will still be unable to do anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store