Underside of Motoro pup and feeding

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
So, as you some of you may know from my other thread, I recently got a 5-6" Motoro pup, that was wild caught but had supposedly been in the care of the store since April 1st. I got him yesterday.

I started doing some inspections on him and he has been climbing the glass a little lately and I got a look at his underside and it doesn't look good. I am thinking I was sold a very, very unhealthy ray. You guys pointed out yesterday that he was grossly underweight, and I have been attempting to get him to feed on small pieces of tilapia. He was interested at first, but I had cut the pieces too large and he couldn't get all of it in his mouth. So, on recommendation I cut the pieces smaller, but now he ignores them. So, I am working with that.
But here is what I noticed on the underside of him. I ordered PraziPro to treat with, but not sure if what is on the bottom of him is stress induced and will go away if I can get him calmed down and eating or if this is something totally different.

Pics:

IMG_0861.JPG

IMG_9753.JPG

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
that looks like maybe either ammo burn or the possible beginnings of septicemia. could also be irritation from the substrate in the tank, that looks like pool filter sand if I had to guess which can be kind of rough on bottom dwellers.

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
Well, so I noticed it on him in the bag he was shipped in, but didn't think much of it, he was triple bagged and it didn't look as bad, just looked like the underside of him had a pink color to it. I noticed the little bumps when he started climbing the glass.

It is pool filter sand, what would be the better substrate to swap it out for?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Well, so I noticed it on him in the bag he was shipped in, but didn't think much of it, he was triple bagged and it didn't look as bad, just looked like the underside of him had a pink color to it. I noticed the little bumps when he started climbing the glass.

It is pool filter sand, what would be the better substrate to swap it out for?
well if he came that way then I wouldn't worry about your substrate just yet but torpedo beach makes a good sand for rays, I'd go as far as to say play sand may be less abrasive if you'd rather not buy the expensive aquarium stuff.

I'd have to guess it was ammo burn then if he shipped that way. regardless I would treat with prazi when you get it as well as somehow treat with methylene blue- I DO NOT KNOW how much you can use with a ray or if you can use it at all, so wait for an experienced ray keeper to chime in on that one, but MB will at least help to ward off any secondary fungal or bacterial infections, as well as help with the irritation on the ray.

Reactions: Ihsnshaik

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
that looks like maybe either ammo burn or the possible beginnings of septicemia. could also be irritation from the substrate in the tank, that looks like pool filter sand if I had to guess which can be kind of rough on bottom dwellers.
He just got the ray in that looks like it would take some time.

It can be ammonia burn but that does not look good what so ever. Some parts of it looks like it is indeed hemorrhaging. I would add a little bit of dissolved salt in the tank for the healing process.

I highly doubt it is his substrate you will be fine with that sand. Many people use it for rays. I think it happened prior to shipping and got worst with ammonia burn most likely not an expert but I can tell you right now you need to take care of that asap!

You need more experienced ray owners to tell you what could have caused this and how to treat it.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
#
He just got the ray in that looks like it would take some time.

It can be ammonia burn but that does not look good what so ever. Some parts of it looks like it is indeed hemorrhaging. I would add a little bit of dissolved salt in the tank for the healing process.

I highly doubt it is his substrate you will be fine with that sand. Many people use it for rays. I think it happened prior to shipping and got worst with ammonia burn most likely not an expert but I can tell you right now you need to take care of that asap!

You need more experienced ray owners to tell you what could have caused this and how to treat it.
i was just covering all possibilities that came to mind. His best bet is as you said salt and clean water-I'm guessing methylene blue wont hurt a ray in small doses, its pretty easy on everything except plants and inverts.

agree with more experienced people needed.

spotfin spotfin Charney Charney Aquanero Aquanero

feel free to tag anyone else you think would help Ace, my tagging isn't working well.

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
So, due to this new information, I believe I am going to move him to his own tank for now. I am going to purchase either a 75 gallon aquarium or a 110 gallon stock tank. What would be better for him to try and heal in? Stock tank is black, so harder for me to see his condition but less light in, also stock tank is cheaper. Aquarium is more expensive, but I could monitor him through it.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
So, due to this new information, I believe I am going to move him to his own tank for now. I am going to purchase either a 75 gallon aquarium or a 110 gallon stock tank. What would be better for him to try and heal in? Stock tank is black, so harder for me to see his condition but less light in, also stock tank is cheaper. Aquarium is more expensive, but I could monitor him through it.
110 gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store