Understanding profiles...tank requirements

JoelB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
I have read that a jag/parachromis when fully grown likes a 125g tank (but I'm asking this question about any profiles). According to this profile, should the jag be put in this size tank with other compatible fish that like this size tank, or does it need 125g to itself and the others require extra space?

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
here's my understanding (and anyone correct me if I'm wrong):

a jag needs 125 gallons. if you add another compatible fish, it will require at least half the recommended space of that fish living on its own.

of course this all in theory, your individual specimens may require more space to keep aggression down.

Aquarist123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2007
NY
I think it would be a bit ridiculous for each jag to need 125 gallons of water. I'm pretty sure those are just proper dimensions that that certain fish needs.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
It's correct for a single specimen but for 2 fish in the same tank that theory goes out the window.My boy is a prime example.I couldn't put him in less then a 120 gal solo.He definitely wouldn't tolerate any tank mates in a tank this size.However in a 180 gal (only 60 gal more) he tolerates several tank mates and I have no problem maintaining good water quality.
It varies with each fish and each species.Profiles are a general guide line and only that.Remember there are no set rules.In the end it comes down to fish personality and compatibility,filtration, ability to maintain good water parameters and sometimes trial and error IMO.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store