underwater repairs?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Does anyone know of an adhesive that can be effectively applied underwater and cause no toxicity concerns? Asking a lot, I know...alternately, something that could be applied to a clean.dry surface and then very quickly submersed into the tank?

I am trying to adhere strips of glass to an epoxy (Pond Shield) surface in a plywood tank, to facilitate the creation of a Matten filter. The joint is not going to be subjected to a great deal of stress in any direction (hopefully); the glass strips are simply running vertically down the tank sides to keep the filter sheet stable. But it will need to be a long-term solution, not something that will simply fall apart after a short time. I know some folks use Super Glue for smaller quick repairs, or to attach Java Ferns, etc. to wood. Is there something along those lines that comes in, say, a larger tube and has a bit more thickness and body?

The filter in question is well-established for several years, but was originally cut a wee bit too short and doesn't want to stay in place without some coaxing. It's been propped up with rocks, driftwood, plastic rods...you name it...all this time and I am sick of playing with it. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
You might want to check out underwater aquarium epoxy commonly used in saltwater tank applications however I don't know if it will still to Pond Shield.

If you like a DIY project, get some acrylic scrap pieces and Loctite Instant Mix Quick Set 5 Minute Epoxy and make a holder for the Mattenfilter. We made one for a small tank using 3/16" thick acrylic, two pieces for the 2 sides that fit between the tank bottom and top lip of the tank and 4 short pieces to hold the Mattenfilter in place. There is no top or bottom. It is a 2 sided triangle to fit in the corner of the aquarium with the short pieces and the Mattenfilter facing into the tank. Hope that makes sense as I forgot to take a pic of the project.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
There are at least 2 different underwater silicon adhesives that I know of but it would be trial to see how well they stick to epoxy. Probably no problem.

Another thought is to pull the matten sponge out, dry it and glue another sponge piece on to make it longer. Use open cell foam adhesive.

Third thought is to make a complete filter holder from glass or acrylic that can be slid into the tank.

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Thanks for the suggestions. I did indeed find a product that seemed to be safe to use underwater...but I chickened out. I rarely use chemicals for anything, whether it be for medication, cleaning, water treatment, etc. so I just didn't feel comfortable with that plan.

I do about 50% or more water changes frequently; I just removed about 75% this time, and left the water at that low level for several days, which allowed me to use ordinary silicone to attach strips of 90-degree black plastic trim to the carefully-cleaned tank walls above water. Gave it a couple days to cure, filled back up and problem solved. The trim pieces run from top to bottom of the tank, with only the top portion adhered in place. Silicone adheres well enough to this stuff for my purposes.

Incidentally, it would have been easier to just increase the size of the foam pieces by gluing on more foam...I've done it, using silicone, many times for other projects...but this was a mature aged filter that I did not want to dry out and "kill" so that was a non-starter.

Reactions: deeda

ReApEr666

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hutton products... “gold label aquarium and pond sealer”. Great stuff. Hard to find in the U.S.... its a black silicone despite the name. The “quick shot” is a bit more available. Check pond type stores. It cures 100% underwater or out of water and has great adhesion properties to various materials unlike reg. Silicone.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Hutton products... “gold label aquarium and pond sealer”. Great stuff. Hard to find in the U.S.... its a black silicone despite the name. The “quick shot” is a bit more available. Check pond type stores. It cures 100% underwater or out of water and has great adhesion properties to various materials unlike reg. Silicone.
Interesting. Had to look the stuff up as ive never heard of anything like it. Definitely very useful stuff.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Thanks for the suggestions. I did indeed find a product that seemed to be safe to use underwater...but I chickened out. I rarely use chemicals for anything, whether it be for medication, cleaning, water treatment, etc. so I just didn't feel comfortable with that plan.

I do about 50% or more water changes frequently; I just removed about 75% this time, and left the water at that low level for several days, which allowed me to use ordinary silicone to attach strips of 90-degree black plastic trim to the carefully-cleaned tank walls above water. Gave it a couple days to cure, filled back up and problem solved. The trim pieces run from top to bottom of the tank, with only the top portion adhered in place. Silicone adheres well enough to this stuff for my purposes.

Incidentally, it would have been easier to just increase the size of the foam pieces by gluing on more foam...I've done it, using silicone, many times for other projects...but this was a mature aged filter that I did not want to dry out and "kill" so that was a non-starter.
Bit late now, But I was going to suggest superglue gel and aquakneadit as options.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Yes, the superglue gel looked promising; it will come in handy for plenty of future disasters, I'm sure. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store