Unexpected catches

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
Making this for people who want to share pictures/stories of unexpected catches. We have all had times when we have been fishing and we catch something that makes us go what, how did I catch this? Weather it be catching a largemouth bass on corn or pulling up something strange while using nightcrawlers, bread, shrimp or anything really. Hoping to hear some very interesting stories :)

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
I will start us off. Caught this using nightcrawlers on the bottom while fishing for white perch to use as catfish bait. It was caught Easter weekend in 2016 on the Potomac River in D.C

Quillback Carpsucker Carpiodes cyprinus
carp.jpg

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
View attachment 1343572
Baby brim with a piece of pickle. Hubby said he could catch a fish with anything. Bet him he couldn't catch one with a pickle. ...I lost the bet.
I have yet to find something they wont eat :), a pickle is certainly very interesting.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Don't know which is the better story, catching on fishing gear a snake or a bat. I will go with the bat. I was fishing on Norris Lake in TN one evening. It was getting almost dark so I decide to use a lure with a set of two treble hooks. One that made a lot of noise in the water. Too dark to see where the lure was going but I could tell something was different as I reeled it back in.
When I got it back in the lights of my boat I had caught a bat. I guess the bat had flown too close as the lure was flying in the air. After finding some gloves I freed the bat but it was not in great shape.

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
My dad told me that he was bowfishing with my uncle and that he shot a snapping turtle that was about 2 feet long. They got it on shore and put it into a box and they called a restaurant to see if they would like the turtle to use for food. The restaurant told them to take the turtle over and they'll cook it, but when they went out to get the turtle, it was gone.

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
Hello; Don't know which is the better story, catching on fishing gear a snake or a bat. I will go with the bat. I was fishing on Norris Lake in TN one evening. It was getting almost dark so I decide to use a lure with a set of two treble hooks. One that made a lot of noise in the water. Too dark to see where the lure was going but I could tell something was different as I reeled it back in.
When I got it back in the lights of my boat I had caught a bat. I guess the bat had flown too close as the lure was flying in the air. After finding some gloves I freed the bat but it was not in great shape.
That's cool, never heard of catching a bat. It sucks that was on bad condition but sometimes there is nothing we can do. Sometimes when I fish for trout using a spinner ducks will attack the lure so I always have to pay attention when they are around.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
My dad told me that he was bowfishing with my uncle and that he shot a snapping turtle that was about 2 feet long. They got it on shore and put it into a box and they called a restaurant to see if they would like the turtle to use for food. The restaurant told them to take the turtle over and they'll cook it, but when they went out to get the turtle, it was gone.
That's interesting, I have seen turtles caught on hook and line but not bowfishing, snapping turtles on rare occasions will be caught while catfishing, painted turtles and red eared sliders are caught while carp fishing sometimes.

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
That's interesting, I have seen turtles caught on hook and line but not bowfishing, snapping turtles on rare occasions will be caught while catfishing, painted turtles and red eared sliders are caught while carp fishing sometimes.
Yeah, we also live in Pennsylvania so I guess it could depend on where you live, I caught one while fishing once (I was young and didn't know what I was doing so I was just doing the standard worm on a hook and I caught a small snapper turtle (about 6 inches), my dad just cut the line, he wasn't dealing with one of them lol

Reactions: Iamfish

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
I have also caught a snapping turtle....my kids and I will never forget....must have weighed 15-20lbs. Broke my line as it reached shore with about 7 feet of line and a bobber still attached. for the next hour we watched the bobber pop up followed by the turtle head a minute later....A lady was swimming accross the lake and the bobber came up a few feet away from her and my kids went nuts!!! 35 years ago a swan took my bait while fishing at a dam in PA....it flew around until the line got caught in a tree and finally snapped. Scared the crap out of me....I have also caught Bull frogs on rod and reel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store