Unexpected Spawning

CichlidKeeper01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2017
So, was checking out my African Cichlid 125 gal today, and noticed that there was a fry in one of the cave systems. He looks to be a bumble bee fry, but is hard to tell as he is well hidden. Not sure if there are any more. This would make sense as there is a pair of bumble bees in the tank. Though it might be a hybrid. Now I am wondering what course of action do I take. Should I leave him in the tank, or should I pull him out? I have a suitibale tank that he could be moved into so he could gain some size. Once he grew, I could move him back into the 125.

Reactions: YankeeJack

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
Its up to you. I would grow him out and see what it grows into if it were me

CichlidKeeper01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2017
Its up to you. I would grow him out and see what it grows into if it were me
Ok cool, turns out there are 2 or 3 and probably more. I am thinking I may leave them in the tank as I am afraid of reintroducing them. The tank is established and I do not want to deal with any more aggression issues. They were eating flakes last feeding.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
Ok cool, turns out there are 2 or 3 and probably more. I am thinking I may leave them in the tank as I am afraid of reintroducing them. The tank is established and I do not want to deal with any more aggression issues. They were eating flakes last feeding.
What i have done before when trying to ensure mbuna fry will survive, make a few smaller rock piles for them to escape to. Always worked for me

CichlidKeeper01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2017
What i have done before when trying to ensure mbuna fry will survive, make a few smaller rock piles for them to escape to. Always worked for me
Thanks, going to re aquascape so I should have an official number then. I will also add some more smaller caves.

Reactions: mattison187

CichlidKeeper01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2017
Send us a pic :)
I will try. Going to try and redo the aquascape in the next couple of days. I don't think I will have to worry about them surviving, the female bumble bee is driving off anything that gets close to the cave system they are in.

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
You could leave it in the tank, but if any other larger fish is in the tank ,removing the fry would be good since it would obviously be eaten .

CichlidKeeper01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2017
After thinking about it, I think I am going to move them out, and reintroduce them later. I am mainly worried about my livingstonii thinking of them as a snack.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store