unknown death?

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
recently my tiger moray passed away and i’m very confused on why, when i picked up his corpse he seemed really lackluster in color with the middle of his body being a bit grey but the tail and head still being yellow. he was eating fine before the death and nothing that i know of could have caused it, help?

• Sad
Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard to tell. Could be water issues, most common. Did you pretreat the eel since it’s wild? Or quarantine? What have you been feeding?

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
What were your water parameters? Salinity, pH. hardness, nitrate?
I recently did a water change and after 2 days I tested due to prime's ammonia altering effect, it read ph 7.7, ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrates around 30, no slainity as far as I can tell, my tank is full fw, hardness I haven't tested yet but I can later when I get back.

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
Hard to tell. Could be water issues, most common. Did you pretreat the eel since it’s wild? Or quarantine? What have you been feeding?
I quarantined it for around two weeks and then I let him in since he was fine, I've been trying to feed shrimp, massivore pellets and bloodworms but he only seems to eat blood worms.

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
These FW Morays seem to be freakishly difficult to keep and rarely for the same reason. Might have to find one just to see what the deal is.

Reactions: aroijuana

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
These FW Morays seem to be freakishly difficult to keep and rarely for the same reason. Might have to find one just to see what the deal is.
i really can’t think of anything or a change that could’ve caused it’s death, is it wise to buy another?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
i really can’t think of anything or a change that could’ve caused it’s death, is it wise to buy another?
Not sure but I’ve seen other posts from keepers on ig/fb and the eels were grown from small to decent size.

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
i really like them but the death seems so sudden, i buy them around 12 inches long but i don’t see them too often
Not sure but I’ve seen other posts from keepers on ig/fb and the eels were grown from small to decent size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store