Unpopular opinions, Reptiles

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Anoles aren’t beginner friendly or community safe.
They need high humidity and temp requirements, essentially only live food, and the males are pure evil. Not to mention extremely fast escape artists. So really, they are no different than any other lizard - just smaller.

If you want a beginner lizard, get a crestie - basically a hamster with scales.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Anoles aren’t beginner friendly or community safe.
They need high humidity and temp requirements, essentially only live food, and the males are pure evil. Not to mention extremely fast escape artists. So really, they are no different than any other lizard - just smaller.

If you want a beginner lizard, get a crestie - basically a hamster with scales.
I’ve never kept a long term anole but when I was in South Carolina and caught a male green anole he was very tame and stuck around me for a few days eating out of my hand

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’ve never kept a long term anole but when I was in South Carolina and caught a male green anole he was very tame and stuck around me for a few days eating out of my hand
Whenever I’m in Florida, the Bahaman anoles are always super tame, I rarely see greens but they are pretty laid back when I do. Must be a wild vs captive thing. Mine has calmed down a lot, but will still make a run for it if you look at him the wrong way.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
What do you mean by community safe? are there community safe lizards?

I kept two anoles as a kid, the girl ate the boy.

I kept a trio of leapard geckos, fun to feed and never bothered each other.

Thinking about raising two female bearded dragons in a 4x2 i have... atomic lizard ranch would be the source. Also considered a tortoise.

What are community friendly reptiles- no snakes!

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
What do you mean by community safe? are there community safe lizards?

I kept two anoles as a kid, the girl ate the boy.

I kept a trio of leapard geckos, fun to feed and never bothered each other.

Thinking about raising two female bearded dragons in a 4x2 i have... atomic lizard ranch would be the source. Also considered a tortoise.

What are community friendly reptiles- no snakes!
So early in my research, and based on what petsmart/petco advertises, you can successfully keep multiple anoles together with other small lizards and frogs.
My green anole starved out a Bahaman anole and had to be separated from my giant day. Not because I was afraid the anole would get eaten, but because the anole had already started cutting up the gecko and I thought he would kill it.

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Agree with the chameleon and iguanas- nearly nobody out of their right mind would keep an iguana unless they had a valid reason to; they need a massive enclosure and advanced care. I´d say varanids were a much better option.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store