Up and coming 125 gallon oscar tank.

Coach Kev

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2019
Good evening,

I recently purchased a 125 gallon aquarium for the sole purpose of an oscar...love these guys, kept a few bore...last one broke my heart and never thought I would have another after Rosco died...but it's been almost 10 years and I am ready.

Plan on housing it with 2 gold severum or 2 salvini(thoughts) and 1 or 2 syno catfish(or 1 cool pleco)

One of my biggest concerns is the input/output will have to be on small side of tank together as tank will be viewable from 3 sides. If intake is kept lower this should be ok right, I am planning on a powerhead at otherside of tank is this definitely necessary?

One last thing, any oscar breeders on here?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Good evening,

I recently purchased a 125 gallon aquarium for the sole purpose of an oscar...love these guys, kept a few bore...last one broke my heart and never thought I would have another after Rosco died...but it's been almost 10 years and I am ready.

Plan on housing it with 2 gold severum or 2 salvini(thoughts) and 1 or 2 syno catfish(or 1 cool pleco)

One of my biggest concerns is the input/output will have to be on small side of tank together as tank will be viewable from 3 sides. If intake is kept lower this should be ok right, I am planning on a powerhead at otherside of tank is this definitely necessary?

One last thing, any oscar breeders on here?

Welcome aboard

Jexnell Jexnell
Go_redfish Go_redfish

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Welcome to the Fishy family!

I like you took a long break after losing my Oscar's. Almost two years back at it now.

As far as tankmates goes I would nix the Salvini from the get go as they are Central American, and Oscar's are South American. If you want to try the Severum I would pic ones that are different colors than the Oscar is. Dark Oscar go light Severum or vise versa.
What I suggest instead of trying to mix cichlids is do either a Single Oscar with friends i.e. a catfish and/or pleco or a bonded pair.
For the single route I suggest a bigger Pimelodus like Ornatus or Blochii. Then any fancy pleco that gets some heft of 10in or better so the O don't see it as food.
The pair route get yourself six little ones in the one to two inch range. Let them grow up and naturally pair up. Rehome the remaining. This way the O's get to live out all of its natural phases of life, instead of always waiting for a mate to show up.

When I got back in I got a mess of cichlids and ended up growing out an Oscar. Hindsight of the last two years I should have gone the pair route instead of a single. I started with this cute little bug eyed beast.20170605_181541.jpg
A year and a half later20180814_182246.jpg
She grew into this beast. Then I got bored. Cause all she did was wait for a mate to swim by finally, if you get what I mean. In the end I rehomed her in hopes that she may be able to bond with the male already living there, and the person's already shown willingness to truly take good care of of thier water babies.

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
I have Jexnell's beast now lol. I've had to upgrade her to a 150g for now. I've tried to pair her with my male but in the 125 I had her in, he just plucked her nerves until she got sick of him and kicked his butt. 125 was (IMO) too small for two large adults to be introduced. They are seperated for now but I plan to put them back together this summer in 1500gallons out doors while I build a 1200 for them indoors.

I moved her out of the 125 because at 12inches she was starting to look cramped. She seems to like the depth of the bigger tank. She does barrel rolls in the 150 lol.20190130_094618_HDR.jpg

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Sorry for the slight hijack
I have Jexnell's beast now lol. I've had to upgrade her to a 150g for now. I've tried to pair her with my male but in the 125 I had her in, he just plucked her nerves until she got sick of him and kicked his butt. 125 was (IMO) too small for two large adults to be introduced. They are seperated for now but I plan to put them back together this summer in 1500gallons out doors while I build a 1200 for them indoors.

I moved her out of the 125 because at 12inches she was starting to look cramped. She seems to like the depth of the bigger tank. She does barrel rolls in the 150 lol.View attachment 1360238
So last I recall it was a 450 you were building. Since when did it blow up to 1200? Wanna keep all your Oscar's in one tank?

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
Sorry for the slight hijack

So last I recall it was a 450 you were building. Since when did it blow up to 1200? Wanna keep all your Oscar's in one tank?
Well after my fish room got wrecked with Florence and I had to gut it, there was alot of stuff that got cleared out. I have more space to work with and its actually not that expensive to go bigger when you DIY it. My grandma always said go big or go home so...
I would like to have all the Os in one place if they will cooperate with me. I'm at 5 right now...don't ask lol.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Thanks for the input, any ideas in the plumbing issue I described?
I would think your plan will work with the powerheads. When I first set up this 125 I only had an FX4 and an Aqua Clear 110. Both were on one end of the tank. Opposite end had what looked like a dead zone, without much water movement. So I changed up and added more to stop the dead zone. I think the powerheads will do this for you.

Coach Kev

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2019
Thanks for response...
I found a power head that moves 550gph and has ball joint for 360* rotation ..would 1 work or do I need 2 you think

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Thanks for response...
I found a power head that moves 550gph and has ball joint for 360* rotation ..would 1 work or do I need 2 you think
I would use two. One at the top of the tank and one near the bottom. Have them pushing down the same side the intake is on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store