Upcoming Movies and TV shows

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Somebody on here... esoxlucius esoxlucius I think?...recommended the movie "Life" awhile back. It finally cropped up on my feed, stumbled upon it last night on either Prime or Netflix, and gave it a watch. A little formulaic...what isn't?...but nevertheless an entertaining flick! Effective ending.

My wife and I disagreed vehemently on the role of the biologist in the movie; you know, the doofus playing with the little critter when it was still the size of a dog's booger. He makes the greatest scientific discovery in human history...and treats it like his personal toy/pet. She felt strongly sympathetic towards him; I thought he was an idiot, acted irresponsibly and was completely to blame for all the horror that ensued.
Yes, I believe that was me. Though I can hardly remember anything about it now, I mean it was ages ago wasn't it....about 3 weeks or something!!

I put it down to that thing we touched upon in that other thread about experiencing bouts of decreased motor function as you get older, lol.

I'm going to have to watch it again, thanks for the recommendation, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Yes, I believe that was me. Though I can hardly remember anything about it now, I mean it was ages ago wasn't it....about 3 weeks or something!!

I put it down to that thing we touched upon in that other thread about experiencing bouts of decreased motor function as you get older, lol.

I'm going to have to watch it again, thanks for the recommendation, lol.
Yeah, the mind starts to go as time passes...who is this, anyway?

At this rate, we can just keep rererecommending the same flick over and over every few weeks and it'll always be fresh and new! :)

Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Yeah, the mind starts to go as time passes...who is this, anyway?

At this rate, we can just keep rererecommending the same flick over and over every few weeks and it'll always be fresh and new! :)
Once upon a time some of my favourite go to phrases when having some light hearted banter with the wife were comments like, "we don't have to watch this rubbish again do we?", or "we went there last week didn't we, or "but I had this for my tea only yesterday" etc etc etc.

Nowadays it'll be the wife who says to me things like, "do you mind having chicken again for your tea, I know we only had it yesterday but there's some left".

And I'll say......."did we!"

• Haha

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Hey jjohnwm jjohnwm , I wasn't joking when I said I was going to watch "Life" again on Netflix, even though it was probably only a month or so ago that I first watched it. I watched it again last night!

It seemed better second time around and I'd totally forgotten about the ending. They've totally left it open for a blockbuster alien v earth sequel.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Hey jjohnwm jjohnwm , I wasn't joking when I said I was going to watch "Life" again on Netflix, even though it was probably only a month or so ago that I first watched it. I watched it again last night!

It seemed better second time around and I'd totally forgotten about the ending. They've totally left it open for a blockbuster alien v earth sequel.
Right? It has...Warning: Spoiler Alert! :)... that dual ending thing going for it; the image of the female lead hurtling off into black interstellar space...screaming...classic and effective horror stuff.

Meanwhile, back on Earth, the male lead in the capsule shouting at the helpful fisherman trying to free him, begging them not to open the capsule, to no avail. An old theme in sci-fi...the brave space traveller attempting to sacrifice himself to save the entire planet from an unstoppable alien infection, but failing. Not original, but well-done here. I hope there is no sequel; they almost always fail to live up to the quality of the original flick.

Last edited:

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I wasn't sure how the mix up between the two capsules happened. One minute they were seemingly both on course, the woman going safely back to earth alone, and the guy, with the alien, was on his way into outer space.

I know the alien was preventing the guy from using the steering mechanism which wouldn't have helped his cause, but what was preventing the woman from taking the right path?

Maybe the alien sabotaged her capsule beforehand! Damn aliens, lol.

Whatever, it was a dastardly ending and it would be nice to see Calvin again, even if it was to watch him wipe the human race out, lol.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Lol, my wife and I were watching it together, and she wondered exactly that same thing, i.e. how her capsule got off course.

I jokingly but foolishly responded with two words: "Women drivers!"

It was exactly at that point where the film transitioned from sci-fi...to horror...:)

I do think that the impication in the flick was that the intelligence of the critter was very high, and that it messed up the one capsule before entering the other and literally steering it to Earth.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
jokingly but foolishly responded with two words: "Women drivers!"
Ah yes, I was itching to come out with that beauty too, but I was watching it on my own, and I don't think it would have been the same, lol.

Maybe I can watch it again tonight, along with the wife this time!

• Haha

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
If you do, keep your phone handy and record the reaction. :)

My wife immediately went into what I think of as the Shrill Harpy vocal range, most of which is too high-pitched for human hearing...but she got her point across...:)

I like to elicit this kind of reaction from time to time; it's similar to getting a fish to jump out of the water for its food, or perhaps running my dog through a gamut of Sit-Shake-Laydown-Rollover before giving him his supper. Gets the juices flowing, good for the blood pressure and nervous system. :)

My dog Duke likes to jump up in the air with all four paws when he is anxious for dinner. It was a simple matter to mark these leaps each time with the word "Boing!" Now, when I want to see that comical jump, all I need do is say "Boing!" and he is instantly airborne.

After my wife reacted to the comment about female drivers, I waited for her to stop for a breath, and then said "Boing!"...and round two was on! :ROFL:

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
My wife doesn't do well with films that are even remotely scary, so there's no chance in hell of her watching this film with me.

It's a bit peevish of her really. You'd think, with her being my wife, that she'd sit through it for me just so I could joyously deliver that "women drivers" pun at the end, lol.

• Haha
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store