Update: Drakaris, Kamfa-RTH

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Hope everyone and their fishes are well; haven’t posted in a while due to very busy with work etc.

But Drakaris is doing just fine: bigger, thicker, pearlier and angrier than ever (but ‘friendly’ and full of character if you stay outside the tank and don’t piss him off too much).

*Best watched in HD*

Another update is that the question of his lineage is (mostly) answered now. As some may remember when I first brought Drakaris home back in Sept. last year, I thought he was a Red Texas. However I was soon corrected by some much more knowledgeable than I that he is a Kamfa, which I’ve been calling him since.

Well it turns out we’re both kinda right – I finally persuaded the old fish shop owner I got him from to get on the horn with his (also old) breeder buddy outside of Bangkok to find out more about Drakaris. To make a long story short, we learned that it was his son who’s actually into breeding hybrids, and the answer we eventually got with some polite prying is that Drakaris is a “Kamfa + Red Texas hybrid (RTH) cross”.

Unsurprisingly he wouldn’t divulge more details about his parents or their specific lineage, but “Kamfa-RTH” is good enough for me -- you could call him “Strawberry Shortcake X Marshmallow-Cherry Pie” and I’d still dig him…

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
So he's not a KK9.9?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
So he's not a KK9.9?
Thanks for watching J.H. As we know KK 9.9 is just a marketing name used initially by one breeder; now lot's of people are (over) using it to generically describe Kamfas that more perfectly meet the standards.

But no, Drakaris isn't a KK 9.9 (for which I'm actually glad; I prefer him how he is:) -- a KK 9.9 would have a bigger kok, more sunken eyes and a shorter, more perfectly wrapped fins/tail (but also likely wouldn't have as beautiful pearling as Drakaris has).

Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Thanks for watching J.H. As we know KK 9.9 is just a marketing name used initially by one breeder; now lot's of people are (over) using it to generically describe Kamfas that more perfectly meet the standards.

But no, Drakaris isn't a KK 9.9 (for which I'm actually glad; I prefer him how he is:) -- a KK 9.9 would have a bigger kok, more sunken eyes and a shorter, more perfectly wrapped fins/tail (but also likely wouldn't have as beautiful pearling as Drakaris has).
I think Drakaris is the most beautiful FH I've ever seen; I liked KK9.9's because I thought he was one LOL, I like the little kok and lack of fat, too.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I think Drakaris is the most beautiful FH I've ever seen; I liked KK9.9's because I thought he was one LOL, I like the little kok and lack of fat, too.
That's very cool of you to say J.H. -- I'd tell Drakaris but he might get a big head, lol.

Bigg081

Fish Wrangler
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
WOW! Gorgeous is an understatement! And people say that saltwater fish are the colorful ones!
Stunning FH.

Reactions: islandguy11

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Why does he keep swimming through the box filters upside down? Is he flashing?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Why does he keep swimming through the box filters upside down? Is he flashing?
After I moved the jars he pulled about 12 of those upside down moves -- so yeah I was wondering if he was flashing too -- but then he stopped doing it (only once in a while now), and has not been flashing on anything else, so I guess he was just having fun :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store