update on fish and photos

danepatrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
louisiana, usa
when i first got this guy about a month ago, he was terribly beat up and wouldn't color up for anything. he's doing a lot better. re-growing fins and gaining color now too. remember this guy Honda12???

ok, here is a full shot of my tank

here are some of the other fish i have
can anyone sex this moorii?

this is a female below, yes?

my prized duboisi. i believe it is a male. can anyone confirm?

yes, i even have a blood in with my africans. he does great.

even a jewel. can anyone sex it?

and my fat labeotropheus. boy he is the pig of the tank. always showing off for the camera.

hope ya'll enjoy!
:feedback:

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Yeah I remember that fish, one big fiasco. Still looks good though whatever the hell it is. Still gotta go with a P.spilonotus though or a hybrid one. Either way it is still a cool fish.

The tank looks good. You always want to know way to much about your fish, WHAT IS IT, WHAT SEX, BLAH BLAH BLAH. JK it's all good.

99% sure the moorii is a male. How bigh is the venustus, it still could be a male in female colors. Don't know the sex of the rest. Also the tropheus will be the hardest to tell since they all look the same at all ages.

ROSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2005
connecticut
look's real nice .. :D

danepatrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
louisiana, usa
Honda12 said:
Yeah I remember that fish, one big fiasco. Still looks good though whatever the hell it is. Still gotta go with a P.spilonotus though or a hybrid one. Either way it is still a cool fish.

The tank looks good. You always want to know way to much about your fish, WHAT IS IT, WHAT SEX, BLAH BLAH BLAH. JK it's all good.

99% sure the moorii is a male. How bigh is the venustus, it still could be a male in female colors. Don't know the sex of the rest. Also the tropheus will be the hardest to tell since they all look the same at all ages.
hahaha. of COURSE i want to know what the sex and id of my fish. it's no fun to NOT know what you have! lol!!! yea, i still think it's the sulfur hear as well. but i guess we'll find out in time. cool about the moorii being a male. the venustus is about 4 inches. i figured that the duboisi was a male because it already has so much blue in its face. lol. thanks for the reply man!

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
At that size the venustus sounds like a female and looks like one. The tropheus will still look cool regarless of sex so don't worry.

I am pretty sure on the moorii. I have had at least over 1000 of those so have gotten pretty gooe at sexing them. You can't tell by the fins though cause my female had some pointed fins. Can't really explain how I know I am just pretty sure.

You know I just have to give you crap after all of that trouble and argueing of what fish you have. It's all good though.

You planning on upgrading the tank at some point.

danepatrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
louisiana, usa
Honda12 said:
At that size the venustus sounds like a female and looks like one. The tropheus will still look cool regarless of sex so don't worry.

I am pretty sure on the moorii. I have had at least over 1000 of those so have gotten pretty gooe at sexing them. You can't tell by the fins though cause my female had some pointed fins. Can't really explain how I know I am just pretty sure.

You know I just have to give you crap after all of that trouble and argueing of what fish you have. It's all good though.

You planning on upgrading the tank at some point.
yea, i do. i'm still at home with my parents now, so this is the biggest i can have. my largest fish are the venustus and labeo and they aren't growing too fast so i think i have enough time. if not, i'll bring them into work. it pays working at a lfs. :grinno: same with the devils. they are about 4" now. once they get about 6 or 7", i'm going to bring them to work and start a 20 gal planted tank.

danepatrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
louisiana, usa
Taz2478 said:
nice, everyone seems happy. do yall have anything interesting at the store might come out this weekend?
ahhhh.. depends on what you're into my friend. ;)
i'm ordering tomorrow. i usually do it on wednesdays. if there's anything you're trying to get a hold of, let me know and i'll see if i can get it for you.

Scotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
George, South Africa
Tank looks great.
:ROFL: I have heard that the best way to sex the fish is to vent them!! This you do by catching them and then turning them over so you can see their holes. Males have two small holes whilst females have one that is quite a bit larger. This is only prominent at around 2+inches.
Male moorii apparently have the dark patches as displayed by your fish. How true that is I am not too sure. :naughty: :woot: :clap :headbang2 :thumbsup:

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Scotty said:
Male moorii apparently have the dark patches as displayed by your fish. How true that is I am not too sure. QUOTE]

Hey so do females so maybe it is a hermafidite.

Dude I have bred so many of these it has gotten pretty easy to tell the sexes apart on them from even a small size. I said 99% sure not 100 and it is just my opinion on the sex. No need to jerk about it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store