Update on planted tank

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Here is a video of what it should roughly look like after being tied... then its a matter of waiting and letting it grow...

Also, as i mentioned before, make sure if possible the strands on each branch are tied in the same direction for best result...

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Sweet thanks for the vid. It's going to be crazy hard to do that with how many little branches there are on these trees but I'm sure it will be worth after the hours of work haha

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Here's my moss tree...started 3 months ago and what it looks like today. I absolutely agree with Homer's advice on securing the moss onto individual branches. Looks terrible initially but the moss has a good start in anchoring itself onto the branches. Mine could use a trim but I like the wavy effect of the moss.
image.png image.jpeg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Yeah, as mentioned before, i've k own LFS owners who've literally sat in the same spot for 4-5hrs just tying moss to a single tree... they keep the moss moist by placing it either in a shallow tray with some water or on top of damp newspaper to keep it moist...

They also will periodically use a spray bottle to wet the moss on the tree to keep it alive...

The end result though can be really stunning depending on what mosses / plants are used, either way though, paitence is definitely key...

Here is a good example of what can be achieved if done correctly...

IMG_0296.JPG

Notice how the moss strands all point in clear direction...

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Those are some really good examples. I'm thinking if I'm really meticulous I can get mini bushes on each branch.

Funny thing is I actually ordered 200 twist ties but they didn't arrive until today so me being impatient I didn't wait on them lol but I will definitely have to work on my patience and hopefully this will turn out pretty nicely

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Sounds like a plan. ill probably use the black thread because it seems like it will cover up a lot easier.

Quick question. I just got the java moss about 2-3 days ago and it had some brown spots but last night i was looking at it and man this stuff is really turning like a light brown but everything else in the tank is doing great... any suggestions??

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Got pics??? Coz if you say your other plants are doing well, in theory the moss should be okay too...

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
It's possible you purchased moss that was dead or dying. They're really hardy. I treated some moss with hydrogen peroxide out of water and left it out of water for a little too long...few days later, I noticed a portion of it turning brown and died off.

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Here are the pictures and all the new growth is really dark brown. Almost looks like long sticks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store