Upsizing

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
I finally found a new tank for my fish after the oceanic popped a seam for the second time. I am going to take as much of their current water and keep it when I make the transfer. But the new tank is a few times bigger than the old one and I worry about the bb not being able to handle the new amount of water. I might fill a second tank with fish water so the bb can start to form in the rock and what not. I just don’t know how the best way to handle the transfer as far as the amount of new water

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Honestly I never transfer old water maybe except to fill my sump when I upsize. There is little to none beneficial bacteria in the water column. I personally would just transfer the media and get the water temp matching and add away. Even if you increase the water volume but the stock is the same it makes no difference. Since you are upsizing take this chance to add more media so in the future when you do add more fish the colony is ready

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Also unless your water comes from the tap with ammonia there’s no reason for your bacterial to not handle it

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
The BB deals with the bioload, not the water. If the stocking remains the same, the bioload remains the same. The only difference with the bigger water volume is that nitrates won't climb as quickly..dilution of the pollution ...

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I finally found a new tank for my fish after the oceanic popped a seam for the second time. I am going to take as much of their current water and keep it when I make the transfer. But the new tank is a few times bigger than the old one and I worry about the bb not being able to handle the new amount of water. I might fill a second tank with fish water so the bb can start to form in the rock and what not. I just don’t know how the best way to handle the transfer as far as the amount of new water
Only reason to transfer the water is to minimize the shock of moving the fish to the new tank. It will not transfer any bacteria. If you transfer the filters and contents of the old tank you'll have moved all the bacteria.

Reactions: NilusFishFamily

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Pacu mom has spoken. Mom advice is always recommended. Don’t hose your old media with tap water. That will just nuke your B.B. Just get 3-5g of dechlorinated tank water and swish the media in it a few times. Then it’s ready to go in your new tank. Add dechlorinator and fill up the tank.

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
That all makes sense. I just got something switched around in my memory lol. That will make the move a lot easier.

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
Old post but I’m wondering about using the old water in my tank to assist w/shock from transfer?
too big to bucket and slow exchange via drip before adding

Only reason to transfer the water is to minimize the shock of moving the fish to the new tank. It will not transfer any bacteria. If you transfer the filters and contents of the old tank you'll have moved all the bacteria.

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
I'm sort of in the same place only smaller. I'm replacing a 50 gallon tall with a normal 55. I was planning on running a new filter in the old tank for a week(my first canister) and then run both the new filter and the old hob on the new tank using the wood, plants and decor from the tall tank. I figured enough BB And about half the water would be o.k.for immediate fish transfer as the other tanks will explode if I relocate and spread them out. It would take all day just to catch half of them.

Reactions: fishguy1978
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store