urchin death

Jamie Chambers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2020
I just bought an urchin 2 days ago, I acclimatised him right and the water seems perfectly fine, as the other fish, snails and such are doing fine. He was moving around last night, getting closer to some rocks, and this morning his spikes are falling out and he isn't responding to a gentle prod. Just want to know if I should be worried for my other creatures lives and the cause for his death

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I just bought an urchin 2 days ago, I acclimatised him right and the water seems perfectly fine, as the other fish, snails and such are doing fine. He was moving around last night, getting closer to some rocks, and this morning his spikes are falling out and he isn't responding to a gentle prod. Just want to know if I should be worried for my other creatures lives and the cause for his death
Personally I would check water parameters and post them just to be safe. Imo it sounds like something my ex-roommate had happen with his urchin, had it for a few days and then suddenly almost all of its spines were gone and it was unresponsive. Found out that his fish decided that day to eat his urchin because after he poked it one of his mollies came out from inside the urchin.

Btw yes mollies can be saltwater fish.

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
When they get stressed they drop spines too I've had mine for years. Hamlet has only done it a couple times when I moved him to a new tank and when my salinity was off. I forgot to plug the auto top off back in. Just keep a eye on him. Make sure the fish and inverts cant pick on him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store