Useless facts we don’t need to know

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I had to look up the scientific name so I’m not sure if I’m allowed to answer…

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Fact. The answer to the age old question, what came first, the chicken or the egg, is in actual fact....the egg!

Dinosaurs were laying eggs millions of years before chickens even existed!
I remember reading something about this before and scythe chicken came first, they protein in the shell of the egg or something like that is only found in chicken ovaries or something like that meaning the chicken came first.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I would take roughy 497 thousand ants to lift a car

if an ant were the Size of a human they could Run faster than a sports car.
The giant Amazon leech can grow up to 18” long

In the show “trailer park boys” Ricky always uses the end of a hockey stick.

It’s called a honeymoon because after a young couple would be married they would be gifted a moon (or 1 month) Of honey mead, an alcoholic beverage

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The tiny volcanic island of Tristan da Cunha in the Atlantic Ocean is the worlds most remote inhabitable island. It is roughly half way between the Falkland Islands and South Africa. It has one little town on it called Edinburgh of the Seas, population around 250.

How quaint, lol.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Baku (Azerbaijan) and Amsterdam (Holland) are the only two capital cities in the world that are actually BELOW sea level. Baku (-28 metres), Amsterdam (-2 metres).

For comparison, the highest capital city in the world is La Paz (Bolivia) at 3869 metres.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
That's where the term bird brain came from.
It is now believed that the term "bird brain" is not necessarily as bad a put down as initially thought, more like a compliment even!

Scientists struggled to understand why birds, with there tiny brains, could perform complicated cognitive tasks, and so started investigating the matter.

It turns out most birds have a similar amount of neurons in the forebrain as some primates, and so aren't as daft as once thought.

Now that is one "useless fact that we don't need to know", lol.

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It is now believed that the term "bird brain" is not necessarily as bad a put down as initially thought, more like a compliment even!

Scientists struggled to understand why birds, with there tiny brains, could perform complicated cognitive tasks, and so started investigating the matter.

It turns out most birds have a similar amount of neurons in the forebrain as some primates, and so aren't as daft as once thought.

Now that is one "useless fact that we don't need to know", lol.
I can definitely agree with that on parrots and even some songbirds…but you have to see the big flightless birds (ostrich, rhea, emu) in action…
There is definitely nothing going on up there.

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I can definitely agree with that on parrots and even some songbirds…but you have to see the big flightless birds (ostrich, rhea, emu) in action…
There is definitely nothing going on up there.
I agree, most birds definitely haven't got a lot going on upstairs, lol. One family of birds however, the Corvoidea family, are particularly smart, certainly on a par with the parrots you mentioned, and luckily we have a lot of this family in the UK. They consist of ravens, crows, rooks, magpies, jays, jackdaws, choughs and a few more.

Reactions: Deadeye

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
When I was little the crow figured out how to open a cheerio box and bag in 15 minutes left outside!

A raven was taught the alphabet. Crows and ravens can discriminate between dots.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store