Using an ibc tote to transfer water

Datnoid042

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2018
I wanted to get some opinions on using a 275 gallon food grade ibc tote to transfer my tank water when we move to our new house.

I basically wanted to know if anyone has used them and how much cleaning they require to make them aquarium safe?

It will be cold out when we move so I will need to transfer the water via pickup then transfer inside to adjust to temperature then put in the tank to avoid potentially cracking the glass.

Thanks for the help

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
You would normally just move the fish in a Styrofoam container or something appropriate to their size. You would through out the water and acclimate the fish to their new water ... slowly by drip acclimation if the water is significantly harder or especially softer.

Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Sounds like a right pain to me transferring all your tank water. When you transfer your fish in buckets or whatever, make sure you put all your bio media in buckets too. Then set up your tank at your new address and fill it up with fresh treated water. Bring it up to temp and get your filters up and running. Put your fish in when correct temp is reached. Your bio media will ensure that you are instantly cycled.

Basically you'll just be doing a huge water change....and moving house at the same time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store