Using pond pumps for filtration return

Mike Thorn

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2017
Hello all. Noob here. Did some searching here in the forums and didn't see anyone addressing this question so I decided to post up.

It occurred to me last week while doing some IT work in the general storage/server room for a medium-sized local hotel, that it might be possible to use a small pool pump as a feed pump for a large aquarium (I'm in the process of building a 300g salt DT with a 125g sump). Most pool pumps I'm seeing are rated for much, much higher GPH than what I'd need (estimating between 2000-3000GPH return). And, by and large, they are cheaper than aquarium-specific brands. The Iwaki I'd been looking at was going to run $400+, and I can get a Hayward SP2310x15 pool pump with a much higher GPH for >$300.

Is there a particular reason why more folks don't use these pumps? Or do they? I'd seen some mention here of these pumps not being rated for continuous duty, but I've not seen any mention of that in any pump documentation so far.

Seems like it would be a solid option for larger tanks, but I'm assuming I'm missing something here.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
For salt water, you need corrosion resistant bearing seals. Also, pool pumps are not pond pumps. I'm assuming you want to use a pool pump on an aquarium. Pool pumps are normally higher amperage which cost more to run 24/7.

Reactions: pacu mom

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Swimming pool pumps can be used, but you may want to check energy usage, and find some in use to judge volume/sound quality for yourself.
Most aquarium pumps these days are made to be used in low head situations 24/7, so the energy they use can be considerably less. They are also made to be quiet enough to be used in indoor living areas, and not be obtrusive.
Your up front savings may be wiped out by one or 2 months high energy cost. Many pool pumps are used for a limited number of hours per day, or are variable speed pumps in order to cut back on energy cost.
And because swimming pools are outside, or seldom in areas where volume is a major problem, they are often very loud, and need to be bolted down to a solid surface to prevent vibration noise.
I recently moved from a house with a pool. The pump was located in a separate pump room, and bolted down to a cement slab, still, one could not sit outside, near that room for any length of time without becoming rattled by the motors noise and vibration.
Even if your tank is in a basement, you may find a pool pump is much too loud.
I used pond pumps (much smaller, and less noisy) for my tanks in a basement, and my "eX"-wife would constantly complain about how they rattled the entire house.

Last edited:
Reactions: pacu mom

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
That's why I prefer Reeflo pumps--powerful, quiet, energy efficient, long-lasting work horses that get the job done.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I originally used two Rio 20HF pond pumps on my 220 setup. My wife complained about their noise, even though it wasn't that bad, so I replaced them with two Jebao DCP 8000's. They are completely silent and only use about half the wattage for the same flow my RIO's were producing.

Mike Thorn

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2017
I had no idea pool pumps were so reputably loud. Even though mine will be in my attached garage, it sounds like irritation waiting to occur, that I certainly don't need.

I've been hearing a lot about Reeflo and Jebao. I will look into those further.

If all these things are true for pool pumps, and aquarium pumps solve all these problems for lower total cost of ownership, why do pool pumps still exist???

Thanks for the advice y'all.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
As duanes mentioned pond pump are design for low head pressure and pool pumps are for higher pressure. Pool filters require more pressure resulting in more energy required.

Mike Thorn

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2017
Based on the tiny bit of fluid dynamics I understand, it seems like the lowest lifetime cost of ownership would probably come from a low-pressure, high-volume pump.

Keeping everything at a minimum head level would go a long way here, I'd guess.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Aquarium pumps are "usually" made for tanks in the 50 to 300 gallon range. Pond pumps for larger volumes, @ 500-1500.
Most pools are 10,000 gallons or more, and may have an additional hot tubs along side which requires even more pressure to create turbulence.
For my 1000 gallons in tanks on 3 sumps, I used 3, x 2500gph pumps.
The house I just moved from had a 10,000 gal pool, and it was by no means considered a large one.
The pump/filtration unit was on 4-5 hours per day, but because of seasonal variations hours were sometimes doubled, and when the hours were doubled, so was the electric bill.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store