Using tap water to thaw frozen food

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
The directions that I gave above, was from yrs back when I was feeding a Mbu puffer frozen mussels in the shell. I understand feeding small frozen items directly, they thaw out very quickly once hitting the tank water, but it doesn't take any extra effort to thaw larger sized portions of frozen food, prior to feeding. Perhaps there's no difference, but I always felt better about the fish eating 100% thawed food, and not gulping back something that was still partially frozen.
Always wondered about that watching murphy eat frozen clams.......do fish get brain freeze? Itd be like sucking to much Slurpee on a hot summer day.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Always wondered about that watching murphy eat frozen clams.......do fish get brain freeze? Itd be like sucking to much Slurpee on a hot summer day.
On a tangent, I'm one of the weird people that don't get brain freezes. I have done ice cream challenges and I get cold or my teeth might hurt from the cold but I never get brain freezes.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Will it do any harm if i just thaw the shrimp or tilapia in a cup of tap water? I've always used tank water to thaw but I figured tap water is easier. Would it do any harm?
I use hot (steaming) tap water, no problems. Then I put cool water in so the fish can eat it comfortably. Works with pellets too.

Reactions: Jacob Briggs

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I have an small plastic tote drilled with small holes i put my frozen food in and put in the tank so my fish gets fired up to make sure all my rays are finding food. My catfush goes bananas as soon they can feel the food in the water. Shrimp i dont bother to thaw. I just throws em in and all fish goes bonkers.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I use hot (steaming) tap water, no problems.
The only issue some members may have with that is if they have supply lines that have higher rates of copper, lead, etc in them. Even older copper lines with lead solder can be an issue, especially in lines with softer water where minerals haven't built up and lined those pipes over the years. Hot water tends to draw those metals out of the line, and into your tap water. Not good for human health, or aquatic.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
The only issue some members may have with that is if they have supply lines that have higher rates of copper, lead, etc in them. Even older copper lines with lead solder can be an issue, especially in lines with softer water where minerals haven't built up and lined those pipes over the years. Hot water tends to draw those metals out of the line, and into your tap water. Not good for human health, or aquatic.
I kind of lucked out on this a bit. The line I use for thawing food is next to the furnace room so the water heats up in about 10 seconds...a 'flash fry' . In fact it gets too hot even adjusted if I run it too long. I'll let the cool water run a minute after that. I get what you're saying about the hot water though. PH is med - high here with calcium (Calcium deposits here are a pain, esp in the toilets). Everything was renovated 3 yrs ago so the pipes leading to the copper ones are all pvc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store