UV sterilizer benefits

jacobfata

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2018
As most of you know my new 90 gallon discus aquarium is setup and cycled. The owner of the local fish store talked me into buying a UV sterilizer. Not even knowing what it was I bought it and they connected it to the sump. There was also smaller UV sterilizer running on my old tank, I added it to the 90 gallon by putting it in the sump. I don’t know really what it does and I hate to sound stupid but I’m trying to learn. As far as I know it shines a bright light and kills floating bacteria that is in the water by blasting them with the light. I also added it because the water in the sun standstill and ends up making a stink in the house it makes the whole house smell like fish water so I’ll put the UV sterilizer in the song to keep the water circulating. But is there such thing as too much of a UV sterilizer? Will somebody please explain to me how are you the sterilizer words and how it benefits my aquarium? Was adding another one a good idea?

2CA41D4B-A379-44CD-B22A-2676B02C8CB1.jpeg

9FD508CA-9BDA-4D5E-8B27-5AD33C3E5DCE.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Not a bad idea adding two uv sterilizers to ur tank. Just redundancy. Don’t think it can be too much in. Will kill free floating algae and bacteria if the flow is slow. It helps but so does water changes. If u got it then might as well use it.

Reactions: BichirKing

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
you need to add a low flow pump because the exposure to the light is what does the trick. actually pump water into it even in the sump. I have 2 hobby grade lights and one industrial unit. i found that with proper quarantine, limiting light and food i have no real need for them and are off the tanks. I keep them on my hospital tanks just for a little more overkill. also added some probiotics (Rid-X) into a tank that had brown algea and now thathas been greatly reduced. you might want to read this post it can help with the smell,
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/the-use-of-probiotics-in-aquaculture-read.536736/

Reactions: jacobfata
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store