Vallisneria growth

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Back in Jan this 180 tank was set up, with a couple plants from the LFS.
fullsizeoutput_158c.jpeg
An Amazon Sword, and a little swath of Vallisneria. The tank is outside on the patio, and receives only natural light, about 3 hours morning sun, and 2 hours afternoon sun from about 3-5pm, no artificial light at all.
fullsizeoutput_158b.jpeg
By Feb 6, I had collected a few local plants, and added 25 mosquito fish, and (above the plants started to grow a bit).
Since then, the Hydrilla (left side) have maintained , a few others have died off, but the Val has done well situated where morning sun is brightest.
A shot from today (June 22nd) below.
fullsizeoutput_1589.jpeg

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Do you have any algae or algae eaters to to take care of it.

Tank water exposed to direct sunlight can turn green. What have you done to keep it clear.

Do you dose any nutrients. Fish food do not provide balanced nutrients, high in nitrogen and phosphate, but can be lacking potassium, biologically available iron and micros. If some of your plants don’t do well, it could be missing some nutrients.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I used a root tab around the sword plant twice in 6 months, but no other ferts, and have not vacuumed detritus at all .
There is one Panamanian Plecostomus and it is always hard at work, algae has been a minimal since set up, I believe the sump with the heavy growth of algae is enough to ambush the nutrients that would feed tank algae fullsizeoutput_18de.jpeg, and because the tank is so heavily planted, those plants seem to starve the algae of nutrients they need enough so only a little algae appears on the glass, and green water has never been a problem at all.
Because the tank is outside, leaf litter, and flowers is constantly dropping in, as are local insects like moths, and beetles, enough so, that feeding fish prepared foods, are also minimal (maybe once per week).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store