Vampire Pleco with fin issues

Sidney73

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2018
MA
Looks like fin rot. I have a 90 gallon well- established tank, fine for over a year. 4 pictus cats were added last about 6 months ago and they grew like gang busters. I feel like maybe the vampire is not getting enough food because they are such maniacs. I love this vampire - the pictus are cool but I'll rehome them rather than lose the vampire... Do you think the 4 pictus are most likely the issue?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Maybe separate for a bit. Watch the water quality. See if that fixes it. If it does then get rid of the pictus cats.

Reactions: TheReefer

Sidney73

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2018
MA
I had a suggestion that he needed more veggies so I've been trying that every other day and his fins are all better!! :)

silverrhino8

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2019
I had a suggestion that he needed more veggies so I've been trying that every other day and his fins are all better!! :)
What veggies did you feed him? I have a small vampire with some ragged fins as well and was puzzled as to why that's happened.

Sidney73

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2018
MA
What veggies did you feed him? I have a small vampire with some ragged fins as well and was puzzled as to why that's happened.
Zucchini. I blanch it in boiling water for 1 minute and then cool it in an ice bath. Just recently discovered the easiest way to give it to him is slice it in half, stab it with a fork and drop it in there fork and all. Good luck!

silverrhino8

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2019
Zucchini. I blanch it in boiling water for 1 minute and then cool it in an ice bath. Just recently discovered the easiest way to give it to him is slice it in half, stab it with a fork and drop it in there fork and all. Good luck!
I'll try that today! Thank you for the tip!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store