vampire tetrea(payara) not eating

armyranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2008
independence
right now a 75g but getting a 200g ready for him, thanks guys for the info, its appreciated very muchly, bout the plants, fake ones or real ones will be better? and should i buy a darker bulb? i been using moonlights and have a basic light. thanks again.

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
fake plants cause if you get real ones then you would need alot brighter lighting to keep them alive. And just to let you know this fish you have is a very hard one to keep and alot of the time dies within a few weeks from buying them. And if it lives they grow very slowly. So you might want to hold of on spending a bunch of money on a 200g just yet. But its up to you. I just wish someone would have let me know this before. I have tried scombs several times and have never had one make it more than a couple months. I have sinced switched Tats.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
armyranger;2126118; said:
right now a 75g but getting a 200g ready for him, thanks guys for the info, its appreciated very muchly, bout the plants, fake ones or real ones will be better? and should i buy a darker bulb? i been using moonlights and have a basic light. thanks again.
Get real plants but watch what you get!!! Make sure you get "Low Light Plants" like Anubias http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=anubia&gbv=2 (quick example). Dark plants usually do good with low lights (thats what I have) and bright plants usually need bright lights. Its always best to use live plants cause the plant helps as a form of filtration (very little but every lil helps). If im not mistaken (no pro on plants so dont quote me, but something close) the roots breakdown amonia. This does not mean you can take longer breaks on Water changes thou......
I was told you can house a Scomb in a 60Gl for life, not people might argue that but in a 75gl he should be fine (again JMO). Anything bigger is just a plus and more for stocking compatible tankmates

G/L

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I've kept footlong Payara in a 75. Since Scombs don't get over a foot it should be good in there for life. Scombs are slower growing but still grow pretty fast when they eat.

armyranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2008
independence
if darker light is needed? will black light work? or should i get like a darker glass and put my light over it? where can i find some of these real plants mentioned? if not use live plants then which brand is the best realistic looking? thanks alot again.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
armyranger;2131126; said:
if darker light is needed? will black light work? or should i get like a darker glass and put my light over it? where can i find some of these real plants mentioned? if not use live plants then which brand is the best realistic looking? thanks alot again.
Any local fish store has them, just ask for "Anubias".
I personally try to stay away from plastic plants, they are also a pain to clean every other week due to alge...jmo

about the light/glass, im not understanding the Q?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Get some moon lights. Just use those for a week or 2 (until it looks comfortable) I wouldn't continue to walk on eggshells so to speak. After a week or so just treat it like you are always going to. Maybe put the lighting on a timer so it can get into a routine. Once that happens it will be comfortable. If it was me I'de just use walmart static cling tint and tint like 1/4 of the glass under the light. tie up a floating plant in that spot and that way it has it's cozy corner but can still get use to light cycles. Definetly agree with West on this one...live plants all the way........

armyranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2008
independence
thanks again. i will just keep him in the 75g, i been looking around some of the aquatic plant websites, anyone recommend any of the plant kits? or the assortment? thanks again for all the help my fish is looking better than he did past week. thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store