Various Questions about Amphilophus Species

Matthew1626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2013
Denver
I'm considering getting a new CA cichlid for a 180 gallon and have some questions.

My preference would be to have a single specimen "wet pet" (a male with maybe a mate at some point), but would also be open to some type of dither fish to go in with him (prob Giant Danios).

I would like something that gets very large, and not necessarily lengthwise, but more height and definitely girth...I also like the long flowing fins of some of the mature ones on this board.

I like the idea of a big-headed bruiser though I don't like to see aggression in my tanks (hence the desire for a wetpet) I'm particularly drawn to the Chancho for this reason, but I thought I'd ask a few questions before I pulled the trigger on anything:

1. Is a Chancho a good "wet pet"? Meaning, do they have a lot of personality? (I know a lot of this depends on individual fish)

2. Has anyone ordered Chanchos from CotA? Dan has some in stock and said he could for sure get me a male. I like working with Dan, but it'd be great to see some pics if you have a CotA Chancho.

3. Would it be smart to get a few of them to start or just a single male?

4. Can they be mixed with other Midas types if I decide to go that route?

5. Is a Chancho the 'thickest' amphilophus, or just the one that gets the longest TL?

Lastly, considering my preferences (thickness, personality) If you had the choice, would you go with a Trimac, Chancho, Midas or something else for this specific tank?

Anyhow, thanks for looking, please answer any of the questions that you are able.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have kept all the Amphilophines you mention, and would not call one better, or have more personality than any other.
Although I'm not into having fish with dog like personalities.
One of the Chancho type below. (A sp. Amarillo)

I you want you cichlid to react personally with you, it would probably be best to get a juvie, and raise it alone, to recognize and interact only with you, but not with other fish, as long as you have the kind of time to keep it from being bored.
The more other fish around, the more instinctually fishlike it will be, and maybe not consider you relevant.
A trimaculatus
Amphilophus flaveolus below

Below a young A. lyonsi

By the way festae are not considered Amphilophus, they are now in the genus Mesoheros

Semantics aside, M. festae above, another Mesoheros below from west of the Andes, M. gephyrum.

Reactions: Matthew1626

Matthew1626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2013
Denver
Very helpful, thank you both! Duanes that Trimac is beautiful, as are Carters Festae.

Did the Chancho you had get pretty large? I’ve been reading about the slow-growth. I just love how bulky they are.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Mine hit about 10" from 1" juvies in a about a year.
I believe water changes are a key to good growth, the more water you change, and the more frequent you change it, the faster they grow.
I normally do 30-40% water changes every other day.

Matthew1626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2013
Denver
Excellent. I do 50% every three days with a ton of biomedia in my sump, so hopefully I get similar growth. I appreciate the great input as always, duanes duanes .

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Amphilophus spp is a mine field, even the scientists cannot agree on how many species there should be. Most are very difficult to tell apart by looking, unless you're doing scale counts or working out the hight to length percentage. Chancho like all the other midas types normally make very good big bulky wet pets.

Matthew1626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2013
Denver
On another note, do all Trimacs get super thick with wavy tail and dorsal fins when they mature?

I'm looking for less of a streamlined parachromis type and more of a floating chunk look :) That's what draws me to the amphilophus and specifically the Chancho...I want to get one, pamper him for many years and call him "The Pig."

dan518 dan518 duanes duanes
Matt

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store