Vary the Menu

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
OMG what a difference my corydoras show after switching their main food from Wardley's Shrimp pellets to Hikari Cichlid Excel with Spirulina etc.

The color change alone was wonderful, but they are more active and breeding where not so before.

I bought the Hikari Cichlid Excel, not for bottom fish, but for my african herbivores and my Mono sebae (which eat the stuff like candy.)

But I have this habit of occasionally feeding my various foods to various fish for fun, theirs and mine, and when I fed the spirulina formula to corys I noticed the increased activity within two days.

The third time I fed this stuff, the fish attacked it. Two weeks later, my corys, plecos, tetras, and even the snails look better.

And the Monos are filling up their tank and pushing out the water, they're growing so fast now.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Now imagine what would happen if you actually fed a high quality food. lol

Wardley Shrimp Pellets
Shrimp Meal, Wheat Flour, Soy Protein Concentrate, Hydrolyzed Fish Protein, Corn Gluten Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Beet Pulp, Wheat Germ Meal, Plankton, vitamins & minerals.

Lots of wheat, soy, and corn

Hikari Cichlid Excel
Fish meal, wheat flour, flaked corn, wheat germ meal, spirulina, krill meal, dehydrated alfalfa meal, brewers dried yeast, DL-methionine, garlic, astaxanthin, vitamins and minerals

Listed by dry weight, 2nd wheat, 3rd corn , 4th wheat

There are far better foods out there amigo, you might want to keep experimenting. Good luck

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Now imagine what would happen if you actually fed a high quality food. . . .
. . .There are far better foods out there amigo, you might want to keep experimenting. . . .
If you have specific suggestions, beyond "read the label", I am all ears.

I do feed them other stuff. Blood worms, and various veggies, plus they all eat on my aquarium plants.

As for experimenting, it started when I was born and will cease when I do.
:cheers:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Seeing as you mentioned African herbivores, for herbivorous species of fish IMO there is no food better than NLS AlgaeMax.

No corn, no soy, and a much smaller inclusion rate of wheat than most commercial formulas. Add to that 9 different varieties of aquatic plant matter. I feed it to all of my fish, even the carnivorous species get some every few days.

Image result for new life AlgaeMax

Reactions: Ulu

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Do you like their carnivore foods?
The carnivores and big omnivores are getting Omega One, bug Bites, and dried krill plus live worms.
I can't keep enough shrimp going to feed them live yet.

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Seeing as you mentioned African herbivores, for herbivorous species of fish IMO there is no food better than NLS AlgaeMax.

No corn, no soy, and a much smaller inclusion rate of wheat than most commercial formulas. Add to that 9 different varieties of aquatic plant matter. I feed it to all of my fish, even the carnivorous species get some every few days.

Image result for new life AlgaeMax
What about repashy morning wood? That's what I use, I use the forager mix and bottom scratcher too, though I'll try algaemax.

Morning wood has

Cellulose Powder, Dried Seaweed Meal, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Spirulina Algae, Rice Protein Concentrate, Pea Protein Isolate, Stabilized Rice Bran, Dried Brewer’s Yeast, Dried Kelp, Stinging Nettle, Locust Bean Gum, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Citrate, Malic Acid, Taurine, Garlic, Watermelon, RoseHips, Hibiscus Flower, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower, Paprika, Turmeric, Salt, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as preservatives), Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Manganese Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Copper Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Selenium Yeast. Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store