VATF with GATF in same tank??

EAC007219

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2015
I'm curious if anyone ever tried keeping gatf with vatf in same tank? I've seen a video on YouTube of a shoal of vitattus with a Goliath in the tank, but haven't found any other info on comparability.

Lugal

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
I did. 8" VATF, 8" GATF in 280g tank. Also with Bala Shark and 2 Barbs. I could say VATF reigns supreme. GATF swims alongside him but got yank sometimes. It even got to the point of scales lost when she's smaller but never again once she got to the same size as him though. Not to mention another smaller 7" GATF who was assaulted by bigger GATF most of the time until she hides in dark corner of the tank.
Overall, I think ATF won't do well in community tank unless you kept 4+ of them or 1 with non-aggressive tank mate. Then again it may depends on each fish's personality. My 8" GATF never slam into tank's wall and has perfect snout while VATF and smaller GATF are very skittish sometimes did when they got spooked.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
You'd need the right specimens to get it to work I think. The issue imo is the difference in behavior in the wild and the big size difference that they can achieve. So the vatf is mature when the gatf isn't. So the gatf gets bullied. But once the gatf grows to maturity, if the vatf doesn't kill it by then, the gatf will likely kill the vatf due to being a solitary apex predator. Vatf is less likely to outright kill a gatf due to being in a pack in the wild, but the packs are extremely large so you need a lot to disperse the aggression. Because they are aggressive despite that.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
In my experience, GATF is the most passive of the ATF. I've seen comms work with larger fish, but if everyone starts small and similar size, it rarely works out long term.

Reactions: kno4te

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
You'd need the right specimens to get it to work I think. The issue imo is the difference in behavior in the wild and the big size difference that they can achieve. So the vatf is mature when the gatf isn't. So the gatf gets bullied. But once the gatf grows to maturity, if the vatf doesn't kill it by then, the gatf will likely kill the vatf due to being a solitary apex predator. Vatf is less likely to outright kill a gatf due to being in a pack in the wild, but the packs are extremely large so you need a lot to disperse the aggression. Because they are aggressive despite that.
Didn't realize VATF are in packs in the wild. How large are the packs and how many are needed in a home aquarium to disperse aggression? Just curious.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
The gatf /vatf combo is fairly common but generally ends up poorly for the gatf.

No need to have a pack of vatf for them to do well. I have a single specimen that is flourishing by himself (with rays).

Reactions: kno4te

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Didn't realize VATF are in packs in the wild. How large are the packs and how many are needed in a home aquarium to disperse aggression? Just curious.
In the videos I've seen it looked like 50-60 fish. You have to remember they do live in very open waters with low to no current for vatf. As far as how many are needed I can't give you that number cause I simply don't know. thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter started off with I believe 6 in his 4500g tank and is down to two.

And as KNH stated, vatf don't need packs to do well, they can do fine solo, but if you plan on putting multiple atf together, you'll need plenty if you go off of their wild behavior. Ofcourse there is exceptions.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
In the videos I've seen it looked like 50-60 fish. You have to remember they do live in very open waters with low to no current for vatf. As far as how many are needed I can't give you that number cause I simply don't know. thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter started off with I believe 6 in his 4500g tank and is down to two.

And as KNH stated, vatf don't need packs to do well, they can do fine solo, but if you plan on putting multiple atf together, you'll need plenty if you go off of their wild behavior. Ofcourse there is exceptions.
I've lost first three to predation from other tank mates and the fourth I believe was killed by those remaining two or they terrorized it, which I did saw, too much. I think they could have done ok if all six lived on. Right now one dominates the other but lately there appears to have been some changes. The submissive one's getting bolder. Surprisingly it's been a bit bigger too.

I have two more VATF about 6"-7" growing up. They were in 240 gal since 3" but one started dominating the other too much a few months back. So I separated them into different 240's.

Wes' pack of 6 GATF has been doing ok, up to 5"-6" from 3" a couple months ago. They get along for now.

My thought is eventually try all these together. Carefully... Since this same topic been on my mind... back to the OP question, Wes sent me a video from his friend-and-client's 10,000 gal or some such that has several large ATF, if I recall correctly VATF and GATF together, because I was asking him the same question as in the OP. IDK much beyond this. Many tried with smaller ATF. Big ones are too rare around anyway to know an answer to this question as put "long term".

Maybe Wes will post the vid fugupuff fugupuff

IIRC, Wes said small occasional altercations arise but nothing serious.

EAC007219

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2015
I've lost first three to predation from other tank mates and the fourth I believe was killed by those remaining two or they terrorized it, which I did saw, too much. I think they could have done ok if all six lived on. Right now one dominates the other but lately there appears to have been some changes. The submissive one's getting bolder. Surprisingly it's been a bit bigger too.

I have two more VATF about 6"-7" growing up. They were in 240 gal since 3" but one started dominating the other too much a few months back. So I separated them into different 240's.

Wes' pack of 6 GATF has been doing ok, up to 5"-6" from 3" a couple months ago. They get along for now.

My thought is eventually try all these together. Carefully... Since this same topic been on my mind... back to the OP question, Wes sent me a video from his friend-and-client's 10,000 gal or some such that has several large ATF, if I recall correctly VATF and GATF together, because I was asking him the same question as in the OP. IDK much beyond this. Many tried with smaller ATF. Big ones are too rare around anyway to know an answer to this question as put "long term".

Maybe Wes will post the vid fugupuff fugupuff

IIRC, Wes said small occasional altercations arise but nothing serious.

I really appreciate the info. I tried to get one from Wes but it didn't work out. I currently have just one VATF from MA. After reading through everyone's experiences I think I'll stick with just one to go with my Rays when it is big enough:)

Reactions: KNH
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store