Vegan /vegetarian fish food

Lepisosteus

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Wow so many replies!

I guess I'll start with the one person who actually stopped in order to ask me a question instead of just deciding all these nice stuff about me..

So Backfromthedead, I'll awnser your Q and a bit more.
First of all, all of my fish are on a healthy diet compatible with theyr specie needs. And like you all mentioned and aware that means foods that contains meat. Am I'm going to change it? Only if I'll find evidence that it wont harm them and will keep them healthy.
This research is conducted here on the web, not on the fish. And it wont be unless like I said ,I'll find evidence that it's ok for them to do so.
It's really ok to have your opinions but I dont understand why you choose to create such an evil profile of me instead of just asking...
And about my rescues- I'm rescuing fish. Alot of them coming from horrible conditions. Goldfish and bettas from 5 l jars can be an example.. goldfish are going to a huge pond and bettas to planted tanks, filtered and heated of course. Another example can be Pangasius.. Hypopothalmus and Sanitwongsai .. each of them came for different kind of small untreated aquariums, 5 Hypopothalmus are now in a 4000l indoor heated pond, 3 Sanitwongsais in an 8000 one, just planning an upgrade for them to a really big, 25k pond. This wont be in my house, but in an animal sancurary I'm trying to cooperate with in order to improve they're life quality.
Cichlids, and others.. also from a huge masses of aquariums.. No water changes, no filters, and so..
some of the situations are from people who just upload a post saying: "throwing them to the toilet this evening, if anyone want to come and take them before be my guest"..even found a goldfish tank on the street once with black water inside...

Alot of the fish comes sick.. alot of others develope sickness a few days later.. is it because of my treatment? The conditions that they lived in before? The move itself? Idk.. sometimes it can be pretty clear and sometimes not..
Am I perfect? No.
Do I make mistakes? Yes of course..
But I'm really trying to do my best for them..

And yes english isn't my native, and no I'm not a bot
Well that's about me..

Now about Vegan diet.. again it's ok to have your opinions .. Humans and dogs are omnivores, that is a scientific fact.
Another scientific proven fact is that boths of them do "thrive" on a vegan diet, as in living a healthy and good quality of life ,living as much year as ones with meaty diets(sometimes even more) and has no decreased in average stamina or other physical abilities. You can check on the web for some vegan athletes and body builders and see for yourselves.
Cats on the other hand are in a less clear status for vegan diet. Research results can differ, and scientist and vets arent all on the same page about it. If youd ask me kittens should reciev a meaty diet, and with adults it makes sense to try vegan diets with a close vet monitor.. however I'm personally feeding mine a meaty diet.. waiting for research to come up with clearer results.

Oh and thank you RD for helping with this article, do you perhaps have a link for it?
A vegan diet is not sustainable for even humans long term without supplementation. With that simple statement you can determine that a vegan diet is not a full spectrum diet and is simply not sustainable for humans. A human can live off of eating grass, if they supplement all other vitamins and aminos. Does not mean a human should only eat grass.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
My opinion about this subject is that we as humans shouldn't force our own beliefs & diets onto our animals. You can't deny thousands (even millions) years of evolution and adaptation from nature. Our fish have adapted to certain circumstances a long time ago, and developed a digestive tract according to it, we can not wave our righteous finger at them and say, ''no more meat for you son'', it simply doesn't work that way. To make things easier for you, the whole ecosystem on our planet is based on recyclement, if mammal X eats mammal Y, dies, and by example drowns the fish will eat it. The omnivore / scavenger fish gets hunted by the predator and the predator fish will get eaten by a mammal hunter. Thats the way of life. If you only want to feed plant matter, then only buy fish that are by nature vegetarian, such as Pearsei or Bocourti. (as an example) I respect your way of life by being a vegetarian, I really do, but please don't force your lifestyle on animals that do not have a choice, nor the capability to adept, and are dependent on your care. Please consider this fact when you adopt an animal in your home / care.
^^^ 100% agree.

Reactions: Tristan & Cichlid

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
My opinion about this subject is that we as humans shouldn't force our own beliefs & diets onto our animals. You can't deny thousands (even millions) years of evolution and adaptation from nature. Our fish have adapted to certain circumstances a long time ago, and developed a digestive tract according to it, we can not wave our righteous finger at them and say, ''no more meat for you son'', it simply doesn't work that way. To make things easier for you, the whole ecosystem on our planet is based on recyclement, if mammal X eats mammal Y, dies, and by example drowns the fish will eat it. The omnivore / scavenger fish gets hunted by the predator and the predator fish will get eaten by a mammal hunter. Thats the way of life. If you only want to feed plant matter, then only buy fish that are by nature vegetarian, such as Pearsei or Bocourti. (as an example) I respect your way of life by being a vegetarian, I really do, but please don't force your lifestyle on animals that do not have a choice, nor the capability to adept, and are dependent on your care. Please consider this fact when you adopt an animal in your home / care.
And even then all herbivores are opportunistic omnivores. Deer, horses, and cows will eat birds and small mammals if they get the chance. They will sometimes even eat eachother's corpses. Even they understand the concept of what we call "supplements"

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

JackEmerson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2022
S Savethemall , despite what some have said, you are not a horrible person for asking a question. While I admit that I have not read every post here, it seems like you are mostly asking questions and researching online (not in your tank). Cool.

As others have said, we should strive to give our pets the best care that fits within our budget and morals. That being said, I am mostly a meat eater myself. As a type-1 diabetic, meat is the most natural food that rarely rises blood sugar. But, it would not be smart for me to feed a full carnivore diet to my mbunas. Just because it is good for me, does not mean it is good for the fish.

Keep your head up, and perhaps try to find a different pet situation that will allow you to feed nutritious options. Over the years, we have rescued a few parrots, and they are fine on a quality no-meat pellet diet (though most birds do like occasional meat/fish, but we keep them on a quality pellet).

Finally, take the advice of EVERYONE here, and abandon your quest for a non-meat/fish diet for fish. It will not end in a healthy place.

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
Look, not trying to attack you here, but you keep saying you’re looking for real scientific evidence and then you ask if anyone has experience feeding with chicken eggs. I hope you can understand why that sounds a little like you’re just looking for anecdotal evidence to me. It got me thinking about who might actually know about real studies on this sort of thing though and I found that Oregon State University has an aquarium science program. They should know as well as anyone. Maybe send off a couple emails and see if you get a response. I really don’t think you’re going to find what you’re looking for on this forum

https://oregoncoast.edu/aquarium-science-staff/
My question was about anecdotal evidence and about scientific data.
Not just, but both.
Cilinacl research kind of giving you the best scientific proven awnser but as we all know with fish not everything has being studied and clinically researched.
Anecdotal evidence is worth something imo.
For example if 10 members of this forum will say that they are feeding chicken eggs to theyr pangasiuses for years and all of them are healthy and there wont be anyone here who will say he never heard about fish being hurt by consuming it ,it can indicate that it's not harmful. It's not certain, but I think it worth something..do if it will be enough for my to try it though..
Anyway thanks for the link I'll check this place and try to contact them

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
S Savethemall , despite what some have said, you are not a horrible person for asking a question. While I admit that I have not read every post here, it seems like you are mostly asking questions and researching online (not in your tank). Cool.

As others have said, we should strive to give our pets the best care that fits within our budget and morals. That being said, I am mostly a meat eater myself. As a type-1 diabetic, meat is the most natural food that rarely rises blood sugar. But, it would not be smart for me to feed a full carnivore diet to my mbunas. Just because it is good for me, does not mean it is good for the fish.

Keep your head up, and perhaps try to find a different pet situation that will allow you to feed nutritious options. Over the years, we have rescued a few parrots, and they are fine on a quality no-meat pellet diet (though most birds do like occasional meat/fish, but we keep them on a quality pellet).

Finally, take the advice of EVERYONE here, and abandon your quest for a non-meat/fish diet for fish. It will not end in a healthy place.
Thanks for creating a nicer environment.
I dont know if I'll abandone ny research, but I do take in mind all the info that was given here and like I said I wont change theyr diet unless I'll have alot of scientific info supporting this step.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
“I wont change theyr diet unless I'll have alot of scientific info supporting this step

I can save you reading approx 30 years of scientific papers, hundreds of studies, and associated papers and peer reviewed research in this area. What you are seeking you simply will not find. Not with fish.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Feed the fish fresh or dried duckweed, frogbit or any other aquatic or edible bog plant if your after vegetarian fish food. Pretty easy solution.
i don't think this is sustainable for pangassius

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store