Vegetarians

Animal989

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2011
Saginaw michigan
Hey I'm not really new to keeping pets but after reading how great you guys are at it I wanna learn. So my first post is asking if there are any lizards besides iguanas that eat predominately vegetables. I had a basilisk a water dragon a pacman frog but keeping crickets on hand was too hard so I rehomed them.. Any input or advise for a beginner will be appreciated

Sent from my HUAWEI-M835 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chairman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 27, 2011
Corydon, IN
Crested geckos (and a couple other geckos) can be raised exclusively on Crested Gecko Diet (CGD). They're great lizards to keep as they get to a decent size (a chunky 6-8") and handle well. Uromastyx are also vegetarians, but are usually more of a display animal.

Animal989

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2011
Saginaw michigan
Cool I thought all geckos ate crickets and my iguana was a display animal it was insane lol but I have only seen one uro where I'm from and it wasnt for sale

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
Try Crested Geckos, very easy to keep and you can keep them on Repashy Crested Gecko Diet. They will still take crickets (well, most. I've seen a handful that refuse anything but the CGD), but you don't have to use them. They're one of my favorite pets... a decent sized gecko, easy to handle if needed, comes in a variety of colors/patterns and doesn't have really a difficult habitat to maintain. They're pretty easy to get, too... most Petsmarts/Petcos have them and they're readily available in smaller pet shops and online.

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
if you have pet stores near you, you could ask what all they can order in, even my petsmart here said that they could get in uromastyx. and also i really dont know generally how uros are but i took care of one that was part of the herpetology room at a natural science center around me and she was an absolute doll, she would puff up occasionally in her cage when she was grumpy but other than that was totally calm outside of her cage and could even be held by kids. she might have just been an exception to the rule, like i said i dont really know how they are generally as she was the only one i had ever actually interacted with. also as far as insect go you could always feed mealworms instead of crickets and they can just be bought in those tubs at the petstore and kept in the fridge till you use them up, no hassle at all (as long as you dont mind having a container with worms in your fridge lol)

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
It doesn't really matter to know much about which lizards are herbivores. The key is to identify them as your potential pet and spend lots of time doing research on them, as you progress on that slowly, you'll find yourself picking up random tangents of information and ultimately, the care guide you require.

In terms of "meat" prey, you should try considering your options in this order. Roaches, crickets, mealworms in all typicality. You can feed clean earthworms at times, as well as hornworms, waxworms, so on so forth. The order I made is based on nutrition, but I find roaches to have better nutrition than crickets, and the equivalent ease of maintenance with mealworms, minus the fact you have to put some vaseline on the tank walls for some of the climbing roach varieties.

Herbivorous lizard, bearded dragon.

felix453

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
new york
Chuckwallas are pretty cool. I also have a uromastyx that does a little dance when he's grumpy, great friendly lizard though

Animal989

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2011
Saginaw michigan
It doesn't really matter to know much about which lizards are herbivores. The key is to identify them as your potential pet and spend lots of time doing research on them, as you progress on that slowly, you'll find yourself picking up random tangents of information and ultimately, the care guide you require.

In terms of "meat" prey, you should try considering your options in this order. Roaches, crickets, mealworms in all typicality. You can feed clean earthworms at times, as well as hornworms, waxworms, so on so forth. The order I made is based on nutrition, but I find roaches to have better nutrition than crickets, and the equivalent ease of maintenance with mealworms, minus the fact you have to put some vaseline on the tank walls for some of the climbing roach varieties.

Herbivorous lizard, bearded dragon.
Oh ok thats an efficient way to look at it.. And I was always afraid of roaches escaping the vaseline thing is ingenious..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store