Vent prolapse

Angela1983

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
I have a 2 year old female red parrot that may have what I have researched as a vent prolapse. She’s eating, behaving and swimming normally. Anyone know how to treat this?

Monstermikefishkeeper

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2020
Sorry to hear. Prolaspe through the vent can be quite common in fish. This can occur secondary to an infective process or due to straining from passing eggs or constipation. Potential prolapsed organs include most common in fish: intestinal prolapse through the genital pore. Epsom salt infused food, and epsom salt in tank water resolved a severe case of prolapsed rectum in a red devil once. Once reabsorbed it never prolapsed again. This fish also had a bad case of Spironucleus vortens aka hexamita, which is also suspect of being the pathogen that causes HITH in cichlids. Info on epsom treatment is posted in sticky in the Illness/Health section. What is she eating?

Angela1983

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Sorry to hear. Prolaspe through the vent can be quite common in fish. This can occur secondary to an infective process or due to straining from passing eggs or constipation. Potential prolapsed organs include most common in fish: intestinal prolapse through the genital pore. Epsom salt infused food, and epsom salt in tank water resolved a severe case of prolapsed rectum in a red devil once. Once reabsorbed it never prolapsed again. This fish also had a bad case of Spironucleus vortens aka hexamita, which is also suspect of being the pathogen that causes HITH in cichlids. Info on epsom treatment is posted in sticky in the Illness/Health section. What is she eating?
Cichlid pellets and granulates because she’s in a community tank. Do I have to put her in a tank by herself?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I have a 2 year old female red parrot that may have what I have researched as a vent prolapse. She’s eating, behaving and swimming normally. Anyone know how to treat this?
This may help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store