VHS outbreak in Great Lakes likely to spread.

FishButt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
Thats from factory farming. Fractory scale farming of any livestock has its negatives. Unfortunately, epidemic is one of them. Good Luck up there.

xspainx69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2007
Queens,NY
ewurm;1668151; said:
This is a great reason why native and non-native fish should never be moved from one body of water to another, or released from an aquarium.

http://ksax.com/article/stories/S391419.shtml?cat=10263

Pardon my ignroance, but just out of curiousity is there a cure to this VHS when your dealing with individual cases? Such as one fish that has it but is not yet dead? Is there anti-biotics? Is this a Virus or a Bacteria?

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
We used to get TGM from PA to stock here, but are no longer doing it because of VHS. It's a terrible thing.

fishyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
VHS is a real pain in the but. You have to have a permit to collect fish and a nother permit for each place you want to collect at when you go out. Luckly I have a freind that has a small business selling fish and he will let me be his "employee" so I do'nt have to go through the trouble of messing with the permits.

rjmtx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Louisiana
This is another reason when we go out, we use different nets for each drainage we hit. People need to be more conscious of transporting from one system to another. It's a shame... What's the origin of this virus?

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
ITHURTZ;1673765; said:
You know I have a question. People always say dont release this from this or this from that. But when you do a water change, isnt it possible to take any disease/parasite from your tank and introduce it to the body of water the treatment plant dumps into?

also found this http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/animal_health/content/printable_version/fs_vhs_q_and_a.pdf
I would imagine many of these diseases need a host to survive for any period of time, and the treatment process probably accounts for micro organisms.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
at least it wasn't betamax

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
I thought they were talking about people chucking away their dvd's and breaking out their vcr's again. lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store