Video-angler caught big clown loach and sold it for US$44 !

Bill Bajaj

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2018
RD. RD. - sure buddy !
Cheers

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
And if you want to see larger CL's, don't go to Bali, go to Sumatra. lol

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
From that link …...

I am loggin in again in MFK using my colleague ID since RD, my friend, contacted me about this thread.

Well, as you may aware there are two types of Clown Loach in market right now. Borneo and Sumatra.

During its season, you can collect WC hundred thousands of CL in borneo. This making the production of induced breeding clown loach is not profitable considering high cost of induced breeding production. Producing and raising them into saleable size very costly. During the wc collecting season, the sales price of CL is much lower than cost of producing the using induced breeding. So it wont be profitable. The only profitable way to sale CB CL is during the off season when the CL price hit the highest price. However, for big trader, where they have very proper facility, they prefer collect WC CL during the harvest season and sale some. So they will banking the CL stock and release some in the off season. That why CB CL in Indonesia is very small

Talking about the way of harvesting CL in Sumatra and borneo. In Sumatra the people is very skilled in collecting very tiny CL. It’ss like a rice-size and raise it in the pond. So, when Borneo in in the off season, they will release the CL to market. While in borneo, the people only harvest ¾ inch above. During the season of Borneo CL, trader prefer to buy borneo CL than Sumatra CL. Even one of big exporter in Sumatra also buy CL and Tiger fish from Borneo.

Yes, large CL is banned from export, but you can always find some exporters still ship some of large CLs to overseas. The ban is basically to protect source of CL parents in overseas which can be used for induced breeding.
The last approx. count of CL's being exported out of Indo was a few yrs ago, and it was estimated that I believe from from Indo alone, 50 million clown loaches are exported each year. For a decade or so 20 million was the number being used in trade publications etc. This species is currently being heavily overexploited, which is why the Indo Govt is attempting to start captive breeding in the hopes of alleviating the pressure on wild populations. Also from that link.
........... unfortunately in Kalimantan the environmental impact from gold mining, oil palm plantations, and logging (which apparently runs rampant even within national parks & protected forests) will most likely place some species of fish in jeopardy before they have even been discovered.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store