Vieja bocourti

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
They are the same, but bocourti and pearsei have been removed (separated)from the genus Vieja and given their own genus Cinelchthys. (they were also at one time, considered part of the genus Herichthys, another they didn't quite fit in)
I believe this separation is long overdue.
The paper describing the division is
Diversity and evolution of the Middle American cichlid Fishes (Teleostei: Cichlidae) with revised classication
by
Oldřich Říčan, Lubomír Piálek, Klára Dragová & Jindřich Novák
and found in the publication Vertabrate Zoology

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
They are the same, but bocourti and pearsei have been removed (separated)from the genus Vieja and given their own genus Cinelchthys. (they were also at one time, considered part of the genus Herichthys, another they didn't quite fit in)
I believe this separation is long overdue.
The paper describing the division is
Diversity and evolution of the Middle American cichlid Fishes (Teleostei: Cichlidae) with revised classication
by
Oldřich Říčan, Lubomír Piálek, Klára Dragová & Jindřich Novák
and found in the publication Vertabrate Zoology

Reactions: RealCrix220

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
Thanks for posting the photos

They get spectacular when they mature.
It's just the potentiual aggression issues that worry me

keystonewma

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2012
Sand Springs, OK
As others have mentioned, these guys are mellow. Aggression will not be an issue. I had 5 in a 125 years ago and they quickly outgrew the tank. Extremely colorful fish that all should try if they can accommodate with big tanks and a solid maintenance schedule.

The bocourti and pearsi are my 2 favorite species that I have ever kept.

Troopershollar

Feeder Fish
Oct 24, 2017
I have a 4 ft 120 with a polleni and four spotted silver dollars. Do y'all think 1 male bocourti would be comfortable there?

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I think bocourti looks like and is closely related to Vieja species. I introduced a medium size bocourti to my 125 with a large V. Bifas which immediately identified it as a competitor and went on attack. Only after hiding for a week the bocourti gradually came out as the Bifas mellowed down on it. I hope it is a she as female bocourti doesn’t get as big and can fit in long term. What’s the max size of male and female?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Males around 14 inches females around 10 inches. Also a very tall bodied and thick set stocky fish much like the pearsei cichlid.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
If I remember correctly Cincelichthys is closer to Oscura then vieja/paratheraps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store